My Vermicomposting Project

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninny said:
could you use rabbit and chicken poo in the tub? What about pine shavings? Could we see picks of your setup to get them to move to the new tub?

You have happy worms!!
I would use the rabbit poo, but not fresh chicken poo. Instead of pine shavings I'd use dried leaves and shredded newspaper - remember to mist the materials with a water bottle - worms don't like a dry environment.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Okay should have asked it this way. Could i put the shavings from the coop in the tubs? So the chicken poop would not be fresh. Also i have 2 tons on straw just sitting and rotting that we inherited with the house. Would the worms eat that?

Also could we get a material list for this project?

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd compost coop shaings/poo for at least a few months before putting it i the bin. Worms can get burned very,very easily by chicken poo. Let the composting burn it out and mellow it.

As for the materials list, check the first page.

Good luck!:thumbsup

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
I'd compost coop shaings/poo for at least a few months before putting it i the bin. Worms can get burned very,very easily by chicken poo. Let the composting burn it out and mellow it.

As for the materials list, check the first page.

Good luck!:thumbsup
Oh oops i was so overwhelmed with the cute worm picture i forgot to look:p

Wormies here i come!!

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Southern Gardener -

How do you like your worm factory? Do you think it is big enough? Desert girls looks bigger... but its hard to tell with photos.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Southern Gardener -

How do you like your worm factory? Do you think it is big enough? Desert girls looks bigger... but its hard to tell with photos.
Desert girls bin is definitely deeper than mine so she'll get more castings. As far as liking it, I do. It's very easy to maintain, all I do is chop vegetable scraps, add coffee grounds or whatever I might have at the time about every two weeks and lay fresh damp newspaper under the lid. Hopefully this weekend I'll harvest the first castings and add another tier. I'll ad pictures on how to do it.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninny said:
Okay should have asked it this way. Could i put the shavings from the coop in the tubs? So the chicken poop would not be fresh. Also i have 2 tons on straw just sitting and rotting that we inherited with the house. Would the worms eat that?

Also could we get a material list for this project?
I would just compost that as it is. Just spray it with water every couple days and turn with a fork several times a month. It would take a long time to for worms to break that down. You'll have to put small prtions of it into your bin at a time.

Latest posts