n95 dust masks

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
At midnight tonight, my county finally goes on shelter in place order until April 10. There are 27 cases in Smith County. We are hunkered down, not going anywhere.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daughter doing traveling nurse gig so she can explore different regions while working, Will now be apartment bound....... Her and her dog will be beyond nuts when this is over.....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Now that just about every state has shut down non essential jobs, politicians are recognizing that the Coronavirus hasn’t killed that many people (compared to what the common flu normally does). Only thing it’s killed has been stock market. As we learned in Nixon years, “follow the money”. Rich/powerful bailed out at top of market, are now bought in after 30+% drop, now get the market back up. How long till government calls for everyone to get back to “old life style”?

I know, cynical way to feel about government and wealthy.

as of yet, the trends are not looking good on that assumption that it is no worse than the flu.

i'm sorry to see people who always assume everything is a conspiracy or something politically motivated. this isn't. this virus doesn't know what political party you are in and it doesn't care - it will take out a rich person if they're out and about and able to catch it.

be safe and know how to wash your face, hands, etc. keep hands away from the face, if you go out and can't remember to do that wear a mask and gloves because they may help remind you what you are doing with your hands. when you get home take off and wash everything including any items that may be contaminated. why do all that work at keeping safe and then infect yourself because someone else coughed on your can of SPAM?

also, i've yet to find many investors of any kind who've been in the market for that length of time who are consistent winners if they try to time the market. i've followed the market for longer than 40yrs and i've done ok, but the most reason i've done ok is that i do not trade events like this other than to pick up a few stocks here or there that i've watched a long time so i know what i'm getting into and i don't overdo it so much that i panic at a 50% drop. i didn't sell anything when it was getting frothy and i knew it was because that is not how i've ever worked for the broader market stuff. my individual stocks and trades i used to at times take some out and put some back in, but then i did the math of seeing what would have happened had i just let things be and not traded and i'd have done much better.

life goes on, this is going to suck, it already does for a lot of people, i have a lot of sympathy and empathy for them and their loved ones. i don't take the risks or the deaths lightly and i wish others would respect the wishes of those who don't want to be infected and stay away. we have a few friends who are not all there mentally and i don't want them just popping in to visit just because they are bored and they think this is all a hoax and oh by the way, i'll make you sick too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do believe the worst is yet to come. As a quasi-prepper, I am always pretty well prepared for a disaster. But even so, my freezers full of meat wouldn't last very long without electricity. We would have a problem. I don't have a generator because that requires fuel and gas stations don't pump gas with no electricity either. I had one in Livingston, 2-3 weeks and the electricity would be back on. Fuel for it was a problem, at work we sent out one person with everybody's gas cans so we could all get back to work. He had to drive 3-4 hours away to find gas. But in a real SHTF situation, there just wouldn't be anything. Eh.

One nice thing about oil prices plummenting is the low price of diesel. We had used up the diesel in the tank, changed out the filter housing and filter and were just doing nothing because of the high price. With prices this low, we got 400 gallons of highway diesel last week. The truck, tractor and mule use diesel. We typically fuel the truck at a gas station and use the tank for the tractor and mule for convenience sake.

I don't think we are anywhere near the down side of the curve. IMO we are still climbing up and I expect to see more cases of Covid-19 and I think it will get worse before it gets any better.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No doubt more will get sick. More will die. Type in deaths in 2019-20 from flu in USA. Then look at total deaths from Coronavirus. Get back to me. (I’ve done it). They can’t even record the number of people that are/were sick from flu. As always from flu, cold, pneumonia, the elderly, immune depressed are vulnerable. One thing that is hugely different are young children and pregnant women, they just shed Coronavirus off unlike the flu, cold and pneumonia. During any contagious infection, we should avoid sick and use proper cleaning techniques. Only thing that makes the Coronavirus different is that it is a “slippery” virus.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the sad thing for me is that most of my family and friends are in high risk categories. :( i am also somewhat at risk. none of this current situation is being taken lightly by me. i wish i could get some others to respect that.

@baymule having a lot of food in the freezer and not canned seems like a good project for rainy days to get some of that meat put up if you are worried about it rotting.

we have some food in the freezer but not a huge amount.

i'm not too worried yet about that being a problem with the power company being fairly reliable these days.

what i want to see is more people getting out and gardening. TEG is here for anyone who wants to get going and to ask questions and get a lot of information. all of us who have written over the years and added our knowledge to this site have put our lives into this, our time, i hope it is a help to many others.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm sorry to see people who always assume everything is a conspiracy or something politically motivated. this isn't. this virus doesn't know what political party you are in and it doesn't care - it will take out a rich person if they're out and about and able to catch it.
Disasters may start out on their own, but they always become politicized - always. They are too useful to ignore for political activism. The party in power wants to use them to improve their image, the party out of power wants to criticize every move (or lack thereof) of the opposition. Don't get me wrong, there are also people on both sides who may be honestly interested in solving the problem - they are just seldom the ones in control. Sadly, that is just the world we live in. More often than not, despite this, good people band together under pressure to accomplish great things.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
First young child died from Coronavirus. New toll, Coronavirus 2,000+. Common flu-29,000-59,000. Now we are hearing reports that America has to get back to work. Start producing products that China did. Follow the money.

People getting sick and some dying is always s serious. I find it curious that we shut non essential jobs down when 1,000 die but not when 29,000 died. In fact, I was shocked when I saw deaths from flu in USA this year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over half a million people have been infected with coronavirus worldwide. (Graphic: David Foster/Yahoo Finance)

Latest posts