n95 dust masks

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are on our second week. Monday I was able to drive up north to pick up my flour in #50 bags and chicken feed. So I'm all ready to hunker down. Figured I have enough food and stuff to go for at least a month without going to store. Unless I want fresh fruit.

Mary

I think Friday DS and I will make our last run and will be able to stay home a month. DD and husband doing about the same.

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We're shut down except for essential people till the Monday after Easter. I think they'll extend it though

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
starting at 5 pm on friday many county's are implementing "stay at home" order... it's just a matter of time before the Governor does shelter in place order.....

work is considered a essential business so we will be open, have told the owner that dw is diabetic and if gets any worse that i will not be coming in.....his okay what that

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Now that just about every state has shut down non essential jobs, politicians are recognizing that the Coronavirus hasn’t killed that many people (compared to what the common flu normally does). Only thing it’s killed has been stock market. As we learned in Nixon years, “follow the money”. Rich/powerful bailed out at top of market, are now bought in after 30+% drop, now get the market back up. How long till government calls for everyone to get back to “old life style”?

I know, cynical way to feel about government and wealthy.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard on the news that pinkeye is a symptom and several people in town here are starting to wonder if they already had COVID-19. About a month ago a lot of people here were coughing and some told they had bronchitis, some said they were sicker than they have ever been. Pinkeye was going around. DD stayed home from church because some of the church members had it and kids so kept Evelyn home. One of DD's friends was pregnant and she got sick and her whole family and her sister and her family. They had pinkeye, coughing and high fevers. The woman lost her baby at about 17 weeks of pregnancy. Not sure if just flu went through here or COVID-19.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Stores are restocking and right now limited quantities. I reminds me of the rice scare about a decade ago. People who never ate rice bought it so that they would have it. Stupid! I was in town yesterday and bought ONE package of tp, and ONE package of paper towels. When I clean my bathroom I use a bleach product and I don't want to rinse that into my septic tank, so I use paper towels and dry them and burn them. I should be good on both until end of May. DD's made a menu and grocery list and the 3 of us shopped on Friday. We each have freezers, so little waste. Still, I started decluttering last year bc I hadn't done this since we moved 20 years ago. Not feeling too bad about throwing away things I will never use again and aren't nice enough to give to a new owner. Cleaning and organization is a great way to spend any time that you would have been travelling to work. I hope that people will see that they can get a LOT more done on the Internet than in person. I believe that a great deal of brick and morter work time is bc of habit. I have never understood why the smartphone, meetings online, etc. haven't replaced flying to another city to meet. I am sure that face to face meetings have their place, but I believe it isn't All necessary anymore. You can call/text/email employees in different cities to meet online in 30 minutes and work through issues. Lots cheaper and much less time consuming. Time IS money in the business world. They also use Intranets, which are private. Only problem is overloading bandwidths, but I suspect that nerdy geniuses will figue out how to split those, just like LED's use much less electricity to produce light.
I want to mention, TOO, that many universities have shut down classrooms and expect their undergrads to finish the semesters online this Spring, 2020. When I went back to get teacher certification I was required to take an additonal one hundred hours of classwork, which I started in 1998. In the early 2000's online classes were introduced. When I asked the dept., if I could do my classwork (which I meant by ALL but the practicum) they looked at me as If I had 2 heads. I believe that those students without reading disabilities will soon discover that they can study and regurgitate the materials just as easily and lots cheaper by studying and taking proficiency tests, thus eliminating the time and expense of many sit down classes. It should be interesting and entertaining, especiallyl since univerisities had not EVERY in my lifetime gone DOWN in their prices.

I absolutely agree this fiasco will speed up our country’s acceptance of work-from-home and online education. I think long term we’ll be able to attribute this to a major shift towards telecommuting for those working computer-based jobs. Ultimately also a great thing for the environment, helping reduce unnecessary commuting emissions.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A friend of mine texted me from Costco asking if I wanted anything. Wanted frozen chicken but of course that was gone. So I jokingly asked for a roasted chicken. Got some coffee for me and my daughter and a roasted chicken! He said they were allowing only 1 per family so he gave/sold us theirs since they had plenty of chicken at home. I thought that was nice. I should have asked for beans but didn't think of it.

My daughter had gone but turned around when she saw the line going around the building. She had worked the night before and was tired and needed to get to sleep. I found out they have senior hours on Tuesday and Thursday from 8-9 and offered to go for her. But she doesn't want us out at stores. If I don't go there I will go to Safeway. They too have senior hours on same days but from 7-9. I just hope they are stocked. There haven't been any beans for 2 weeks now.

Mary
We bought a HUGE bag of pinto beans at Costco for a pittance when we were quite broke. It took us 3 years to finish it. Obviously we weren’t eating them all the time. Finishing that bag felt like a major achievement, lol.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey gardeners. Think about your neighbors, friends and family. Think about people who are now unemployed and who will be short of enough food to eat. Plant extra for these people. The assisted living facility where I have gone to work is having a hard time finding enough food to plan 3 meals a day for the residents. I will plant extra squash, green beans and other vegetables to help out.

Think about homeless shelters and any other place you can think of where there is a need. If as many of us as possible pitch in to help our communities, we can accomplish a great deal. Together, we can do this.

Also check if your food bank accepts fresh produce. Mine does!

Latest posts