Naked-seeded pumpkin project

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@BeanWonderin , what an incredible job of documenting your efforts! Together with your previous data, it presents a clear picture of the genetic potential in this seed. The first-year results were much better than I hoped for, with a statistically large percentage of the grow out at or near the target parameters. This indicates the project may be realistically attainable in a fairly short timeline.

The task now will be to grow out the 4 lines displayed by @BeanWonderin above that are closest to the target parameters (2021-2, -4, -8, -9). Those lines have the target traits: small, softball-sized solid-orange pumpkins; a high density of small completely hull-less seeds; very low waste; and little to no sprouting. Plants grown from this seed will be self-pollinated with male flowers from the same vine, and those hand-pollinated pumpkins sorted at year's end for those that meet the target parameters.

Seeds are ready to be mailed to anyone wishing to participate in this year's grow out. I'll look back through my PMs for those who have already expressed interest, and send seeds soon. Because we will be working with multiple lines, it would be helpful to know how many plants each person intends to grow, and whether they feel comfortable working with more than one line. Complete instructions will be posted here, as well as mailed along with the seed.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seeds are ready to be mailed to anyone wishing to participate in this year's grow out. I'll look back through my PMs for those who have already expressed interest, and send seeds soon. Because we will be working with multiple lines, it would be helpful to know how many plants each person intends to grow, and whether they feel comfortable working with more than one line. Complete instructions will be posted here, as well as mailed along with the seed.

i'd happily refresh my seeds from those small ones and discard the seeds i already have from you since most of them have not been the small size. or do you want me to keep growing what you sent last year? either way is ok with me.

i will not be growing a large number of plants so a dozen seeds would be plenty.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I regret that I'm unable to commit to the hand pollination at this point. My dad (age 88 and 300 miles away) isn't doing so well, and not sure what will be happening.
This is where an emoticon doesn't work. Would it be for the first sentence, or second sentence? Anyway, Ailing parents, that is tuff. My sympahties. Take care of you. I don't think anyone here will hold the not able to hand pollinate against you.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I regret that I'm unable to commit to the hand pollination at this point. My dad (age 88 and 300 miles away) isn't doing so well, and not sure what will be happening.
No worries. I wouldn't ask or expect you to participate in the project, given your present circumstances. Taking care of your Dad is obviously your highest priority... my thoughts & prayers to both of you. 👃

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What can you do with a bunch of Little Greenseed Pumpkin seeds (other than grow them)?

Roast and eat them, if course! So good, too!

DCACDDB3-CE62-4C49-BE59-D3F75F7C5875.jpeg

814E59B2-5443-49E3-9447-7409D3396317.jpeg

2A9A9F12-AAD7-4DF6-964A-78C194D13896.jpeg

Latest posts