Name Your Heirloom Tomatoes For This Year!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would like to announce that I picked up a HUGE (easily 2 feet, probably closer to 3 feet tall) Mortgage Lifter tomato plant yesterday, at (of all places) my local big box grocery store!

This year they have gone the all-heirloom route, which is kind of cool. They get their plants from a nursery about 30-40 minutes south of me, which I also like.

Of course, I went to let the dogs out this morning and saw that the wind had knocked over the entire plant, pot and all . . . *grrr* . . .

I now have 12 tomato plants, and of them 10 varieties are heirlooms. Should be an interesting year!

Whitewater

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
the NC Tomato Man, Craig LeHoullier

Welcome to TEG, pirtykitty :frow!

Steve (the Id Wa! Tomato Plants under Buckets Man :rolleyes:)
Are the winds still really that bad there???

Gosh all I can think of is how much trouble all those topsy turvy people are in right now with their tomatoes! I see LOTS of those get blown over and broken here all the time. :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
pirtykitty said:
Craig It's good to see you on here.. I took a look at you site.. I'm tickled pink to see Off The Vine articles there... I have all my issues stashed somewhere.. I wish it was still in print..
:welcome

Oh, that's not Craig, that's Steve... he was just sharing Craig's site because I for the life of me couldn't remember! lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure, V, blow my cover!

The winds have died down a bit but it frosted this morning. I think the neighbor lost most of his tomatoes . . . I got the water on them for him but, where was he :rant??

My 'maters spent most of a sunny day out from under their buckets & pots. I covered them again about 8pm. I had left them covered for nearly 72 hours. And, it froze on 2 mornings and might do it again tonight :rolleyes:!

An overnight temperature of 50F is predicted for tomorrow night! What a relief it will be to get there as clouds and a warm rain are suppose to move in.

I took a careful look at the plants during the covering and uncovering, today. At least 6 of them will need to be replaced . . :/ . . . but there's about 60 of them and I've certainly got 6 more. It's funny (sort of :rolleyes:). The only variety I've completely lost is Bloody Butcher, not 1 plant worth trying to grow for the season. Out of 29 varieties, Bloody Butcher should have been the very earliest to produce fruit - but, not this year.

We will see how Kimberley does in filling that "earliest fruit from the garden" niche ;).

Steve

dntd

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This year I planted so many types that I only remember these names missing a few, this year we only planted 2 that weren'y hierloom, golden boy and early girl:
bandywine
mr.stripey
german stripe
cher.purple
black prince
green zebra
red/white current
pineapple
podirosa pink
Stupice
spoon tomatoes( don't know if it's hierloom)
oxheart

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It's getting late in the season, but I just bought my last two heirloom tomato plants. This will be my first time growing heirlooms since trying 10 years ago to grow Mr. Stripy and Brandywine. Both failed to produce anything.

Here are my heirloom choices for this year:

Hillbilly
Pineapple
Black Krim
Arkansas Traveler
Black Cherry

I also have sweet 100 cherry, Yellow cherry, and Bonnie's Best hybrids.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked up another roma and a yellow pear the other day. Since most of mine aren't ripe yet, I keep thinking that I just need more plants... that will give me the tomatoes I want... yeah...

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked up a few more tomatoes today so my current list of varieties stands thus:

Brandywine
Black Krim
Green Zebra
Mortgage Lifter
Roma
Yellow Pear
Red Currant
San Marzano
Fireworks
Pineapple

I have a couple of hybrids also. I have really gone overboard with tomatoes this year... I don't even like tomatoes! I use them in sauces and such of course, but I've never liked them just as they are. I'm hoping that if I grow some different varieties, I will find something I like. Hopefully!

Latest posts