National Cookie Day!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, I just love red velvet cupcake or red velvet cake! I just ate 3 mini ones that I had in the freezer.

Mary

the frosting she has traditionally used for them is a very strange one because it uses Crisco for a part of it, but since that is the only time we use Crisco in anything around here we let it slide (pun intended :) ).

in trying to find the recipe for the frosting i came across this one and would try it sometime:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/flour-frosting-red-velvet-cake-frosting-462424

this is one with crisco in it but we use a mix of Crisco and butter or margarine instead:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216811/hesters-red-velvet-cake-icing/

to me cream cheese frosting is just too sweet for this cake...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, I make my frosting with cream cheese but I've cut the powdered sugar by almost half what the recipe calls for. I've cut sugar on all my baking recipes. It's just too much for me. Gotta have cream cheese frosting for my red velvets though.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, I make my frosting with cream cheese but I've cut the powdered sugar by almost half what the recipe calls for. I've cut sugar on all my baking recipes. It's just too much for me. Gotta have cream cheese frosting for my red velvets though.

same here on the reducing sugar in things. i'm down quite a bit the past few years. i notice it the most in the late morning where i used to get very sleepy once the sugar buzz wore off.

i like cream cheese frosting for carrot cake or other spice cakes/breads but not on chocolate cakes.

i'm sure i'd eat it anyways tho... :)

Latest posts