1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2019 SEED CATALOGS!!!! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

National Cookie Day!

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by digitS', Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dec 6, 2018 at 2:59 PM
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

2. Dec 6, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

What's nice about using fresh cranberries is the way they burst and add that sweet tart flavor.
    I suppose you could find dried cranberries without the added sugar...although we are talking cookies, and what's a little more sugar, right?

But fresh ones are plentiful and reasonably priced and you can freeze them and Costco has such nice big bags of them!

3. Dec 7, 2018 at 2:23 AM
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

My son made a cranberry lemon curd tart for Thanksgiving that was delicious! He used fresh cranberries. I need to stock up on them now so he can make that tart again!

Mary

4. Dec 7, 2018 at 5:30 PM
    murphysranch

murphysranch Garden Addicted

The three huge grocery stores here are OUT of fresh cranberries! I read in on Grants Pass Community Chat on FB.

5. Dec 8, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

black walnut cookies are probably my favorites. i only make them a few times a year if that. the recipe is different than many other cookies in that it uses powdered sugar and oil instead of sugar and margarine (or butter). i don't have it memorized yet and it's too early for me to go root it out, but if wanted i'll post it later.

aside: margarines these days can contain a lot of water so now you have to be sure what margarine you are using.

digitS' likes this.
  6. Dec 8, 2018 at 2:27 PM
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

I have been disappointed one too many times with the banana bread recipe we use.

Banana bread baking is thought of as a stop-gap measure: "OMG, there are 6 very ripe bananas. If you eat 1 and I eat 1 - we have to get the others in the oven!"

Problem is, what goes in with the bananas amounts to little more than what might have been swept into them by a couple of 5 year-olds. No milk, butter, oil, sour cream, yogurt - none of that! Ya know, I like simple-dimple but ...

Steve

flowerbug likes this.
  7. Dec 8, 2018 at 2:54 PM
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

i've heard you can freeze them, but i don't do that. i'll eat bananas even if they are all black on the outside, they're often very sweet and ok on the inside. i don't like green bananas much at all.

another way to deal with them is to make something else, i slice them up, put some vinegar, honey and cinnamon on them or a banana and chocolate pudding pie or banana cream pie or ...

digitS' likes this.