1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. A few pictures from this week - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

National Cookie Day!

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by digitS', Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dec 12, 2018
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Flowerbug, I just love red velvet cupcake or red velvet cake! I just ate 3 mini ones that I had in the freezer.

Mary

flowerbug likes this.
  2. Dec 13, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

the frosting she has traditionally used for them is a very strange one because it uses Crisco for a part of it, but since that is the only time we use Crisco in anything around here we let it slide (pun intended :) ).

in trying to find the recipe for the frosting i came across this one and would try it sometime:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/flour-frosting-red-velvet-cake-frosting-462424

this is one with crisco in it but we use a mix of Crisco and butter or margarine instead:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216811/hesters-red-velvet-cake-icing/

to me cream cheese frosting is just too sweet for this cake...

3. Dec 13, 2018
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Flowerbug, I make my frosting with cream cheese but I've cut the powdered sugar by almost half what the recipe calls for. I've cut sugar on all my baking recipes. It's just too much for me. Gotta have cream cheese frosting for my red velvets though.

Mary

4. Dec 13, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

same here on the reducing sugar in things. i'm down quite a bit the past few years. i notice it the most in the late morning where i used to get very sleepy once the sugar buzz wore off.

i like cream cheese frosting for carrot cake or other spice cakes/breads but not on chocolate cakes.

i'm sure i'd eat it anyways tho... :)

ninnymary likes this.