Nawthern vs Southern

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of different sausages would be good. I imagine Seed has his own favorite. Down here a favorite is cajun andouille. Many years back I had to commute about and hour and a half daily to a job that lasted about four months. Once a week I'd stop at a place called Bourgeois outside of Thibodeaux to pick up a couple of pounds of andouille sausage. I'd get then to wrap each pound separately. I'd finish off one package on the drive home.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking of my version of Portuguese kale soup.

And, since Portuguese sausage isn't available, I use the Italian spicy. Fennel gives it an interesting and welcome flavor. I've never had the real thing - had a friend with a Portuguese mother in a community with immigrants. I don't even remember a restaurant there but I coulda asked her if'n I'd known enough to.

Anyway, just leaving out the potatoes and serving the beans . I mean peas ! separately, and with some of my tasting cornbread ... it wouldn't be any kind of a stretch.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Substitute spinach for the cardboard, sounds like an interesting soup.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge''s cabbage would be a near match for Portuguese kale. (Is cabbage difficult to grow in the South?)

"In the literature," it's sometimes listed as a collard. I like to think of it as a nawthern collard ... but now, thanks to DW taking a liking, I've been eating collards. I'm sure they don't grow as well here as they do in southern gardens.

Porto, where this kale soup is common, I guess, is not in the South. It's north of 41° North. That's Wyoming's southern border. It's north of NY City.

Steve

Latest posts