Nawthern vs Southern

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exhibit B happened during a blizzard a few years ago to my school bus. I had a passenger door that never closed snuggly and any wind would work it open, YEP. Came to work to have to shovel it out. Up the step, on and under the driver set and dash. There was even snow blown into the console dials. What a MESS.

when some yahoos broke into my truck they smashed the window then for extra fun they put their crowbar through all the guages in the dash and through the radio and tape player. they were caught (footprints in the snow leading back to where they lived where they had the stuff they stole stashed). kids... it had a lot of snow in it by the time i was notified. it was parked in an overflow parking lot which was a ways up hill and away from campus making it a target for these kids.

i eventually got a settlement for half the value of the truck and sold it for $150 to some guy who needed a beater for a short period of time while he was working on another vehicle. they didn't do jail time, but i think it would have been a good lesson if they'd been put in for a few months in the local jail.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic all I can type is.....WOW.....
I do not believe I ever mentioned that even though I was born in Montgomery, I grew up in Alaska. My brother was born in Wrangel. I spent formative years in a village called Bethel. It was cold enough to freeze my grits. And no trees. I love trees, and so I left.

And..The cremation of Sam Mcgee is a famous poem about a cold southerner.

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Air that you can wear! I actually went out with a flashlight the other night and could see the air reflecting light because there was so much post rain moisture in the air!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not believe I ever mentioned that even though I was born in Montgomery, I grew up in Alaska. My brother was born in Wrangel. I spent formative years in a village called Bethel. It was cold enough to freeze my grits. And no trees. I love trees, and so I left.

And..The cremation of Sam Mcgee is a famous poem about a cold southerner.

this is very fitting right now as my first roommate from college is just getting a story published that references this poem indirectly. i'd never read it before so thanks for the post. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Air that you can wear! I actually went out with a flashlight the other night and could see the air reflecting light because there was so much post rain moisture in the air!
I wonder what that is like .. 🤔 ?

I suppose that I have some idea, having spent some months on the Gulf coast in Florida and Texas. In Houston, I was once completely confused as to what clothes that I should wear. I'm sure that I'd have been more comfortable naked. It looked like a foggy, November day altho there was a breeze. I wonder how many pounds of sweat and atmospheric moisture I was carrying around from being outdoors and casually active.

We could talk about a Köppen climate map and the contrast between humidity and the West's Mediterranean climate. When the British relocate during their senior years, in which climate zone will we be likely to find them?

Steve
thankful that subzero isn't adding to his desire to climb into this cup of spearmint and chamomile tea, with just his head above the steaming water

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooohhhhhh...Well then...shots fired! ;)

If any northerner didn't check the depth of the ice on a lake, or left their door/window/sunroof open in the snow, then that's their own fault. But it was probably a visiting southerner..I've seen them slip-sliding around on the roads because they never learned how to drive on ice and compacted snow...

I will take my climate any day. The snow crunches under your feet 1,000,000X better than dry leaves, and on the coldest nights it shimmers in the moonlight like sparkling diamonds. And how many southerners can grow my favorite perennial flowers, beautiful peonies and lilacs? They thrive with zero attention here...just another benefit of our -30 degree winters.

Currently my hardneck garlic (that's right, I'll get scapes!) is waiting patiently under a nice blanket of snow while I'm planning the rest of my garden indoors. And when spring gets here, I will get to plant my lettuce and spinach along with everything else because my summer doesn't turn them into premature flowers. That means I'll get to eat my salad ingredients all together! And with a little preserving, I'm still eating from my garden year-round. I'm more than happy to enjoy a MN winter. You don't make me jealous with those green pictures, southerners are the ones who are missing out! We know what cold actually feels like and still enjoy it! :celebrate

Seedcorn has a friend! Congratulations to you both! @seedcorn never had a friend before.... BWAHAHAHA

Latest posts