Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My garden has come to life too.
IMG_20200103_091226_resize_96.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I amost feel sorry for you. For supper tonight we had chicken fried lamb roundsteak, fried (and seasoned) okra, home grown cream corn, purple hull peas seasoned with home grown, home smoked bacon and sweet tea!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I just went through my seed stash and will be planting English Peas, you know those GREEN things the 3rd week of February. Got some sugar snaps too. Can't plant the REAL peas until April, when they kick in, they will bear until frost. Dunno why you Nawthurners call them COW peas-we don't waste them on the cows! LOL LOL
You know, I just know that some Caribbean person is going to come along and say we're both wrong, that REAL peas are the things they used in Rice and Peas (what we call pigeon peas).
And considering they came from Africa along with the slaves, they could have picked up MUCH WORSE names than cow peas.)

Black eyed peas also is a problem, as it gives no good term for our peas which have a black hilum (not common in modern peas, but you can find it in older heirloom types.)

Actually that's part of the problem, most of the other neutral terms don't really work. Northern and Southern are confusing when there are members of each one that can be grown in the other. Black eyed peas doesn't work for the whole range of ones that DON'T have a black eye (solid, brown eye, pinkeye, mottled eye* cryptic eye**) and crowder really only applies to those that have that have tightly appresed seeds (which is very few of them. Plus our peas can have tight seeds as well)

* Again not common but the ones I call Owl's eye has them and Great Owl has speckled eyes
**basically an invisible eye, like on Coals in the Candle black eye on black background.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for breaking it all down into finer details! I loves me some silverskin crowder peas!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let me help you out there, @Dirtmechanic I just happened to have a picture I took today of a green pasture. No snow or ice here!

View attachment 34027
Now to the newbies, you see exactly what I’m talking about. While we struggle through winter, they get to play in the sun and garden. Don’t you agree how mean this is , teasing us so?

Latest posts