Nawthern vs Southern

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic when will you start planting? I can start some things the last of February, maters have to wait until April.

@seedcorn when do you thaw out? July? :lol: Right before it starts snowing again in August? :gig
To the newbies, See what I mean. Admit it, you thought I was making this all up.....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the newbies as they may not understand some terms or abuses by the southerners.

All Nawtherners (as the southerners refer to us) are easy going, patient people that take much abuse from them. We are a diverse group as the midwestern nawtherners have different challenges and diets vs. NE or NW nawtherners. Most of our food lacks the spices and flavor. Too many English, German, Scandinavian influences.

Now Southerners (they refer to themselves as pea pickers, bless your heart-code for kiss my @@@ if you don’t like us) are particularly cruel in that they love to post pix of their gardens or what they are eating out of garden while we are fighting cold, ice, snow, etc. Then we get bored from winter and looking at seed catalogs, they stop posting pix. They instigate all attacks. They are also a diverse group from SW, to south central to eastern coastal and western coastal. All of their food is to die for as it includes spices, fats and flavor. Just for reference, one of them loves to neuter, name and then butchers them. Don’t tell me about how great of a life they give them (freedom, great food, treats, treated with respect) as I can’t get past the neutering.........

So if you are a nawtherners, develop a thick skin as they just can’t help themselves. IF you are a pea picker, we still love you, as we recognize you just can’t help yourself.

here we go again........as i have mentioned numerous times over the years....

IF YOU LIVE WERE IT FREEZES 9 OUT OF 12 MONTHS THAT'S YOUR OWN DANG FAULT, SO STOP YOUR BLOOD CLOT CRYING AND KEEP LICKING THOSE SEED CATALOG PAGES KNOWING THAT SOUTHERNERS ARE SUPERIOR GARDENERS...

THANKS FOR REMINDING ME IT'S JUST ABOUT TIME TO START MY GARDENING PAGE...
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What does frozen ground look and feel like? Asking for a friend.

Mary
Yesterday there were wind gusts above 35mph. Supposedly, there has been 2 moments at freezing in 2020. I'm certain that the soil in my yard has thawed. Today, I have a bucket of kitchen scraps that I'm hoping to get into a stealth compost pit. I'm sure that I've never done this in December, let alone January!

The lawn grass looks green. What does all this mean???

2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite ch

Steve 😳

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, who can resist such a gracious and polite request to see some photos. I took these this morning to do my best to comply with your request.

I'll start with one of your favorites, Kale. I know, it's time to do some mowing and edging, more to control the weeds it won't hurt the grass.
Kale.jpg

This has spinach up front, then beets, then carrots. Some of those carrots are getting quite nice.
Beets.jpg

I only have one head of cabbage left. That's collard greens in behind. Not shown, the cauliflower and broccoli heads are done but broccoli is sending out some nice side shoots. Those side shoots will likely be part of supper tonight.
Cabbage.jpg

This is lettuce, turnips, chard, and mustard greens. The chard looks weak but that's because I gave my daughter-in-law a mes yesterday. It will grow back.

Lettuce.jpg

I'll include a shot of the Brussels Sprouts. They have started to sucker out on the stalks but haven;t started heading up yet. First time I've grown these, should be interesting.
Sprouts.jpg

Seed, I hope this makes your day go better.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep in loop on sprouts as they are a nawthern crop. Curious how they do in south.

Can’t believe you grow your own cardboard...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
here we go again........as i have mentioned numerous times over the years....

IF YOU LIVE WERE IT FREEZES 9 OUT OF 12 MONTHS THAT'S YOUR OWN DANG FAULT, SO STOP YOUR BLOOD CLOT CRYING AND KEEP LICKING THOSE SEED CATALOG PAGES KNOWING THAT SOUTHERNERS ARE SUPERIOR GARDENERS...

THANKS FOR REMINDING ME IT'S JUST ABOUT TIME TO START MY GARDENING PAGE...
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Amen, Brotha! Preach! :clap

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep in loop on sprouts as they are a nawthern crop. Curious how they do in south.

So am I. I'm real close to the Gulf Coast, I think that may make it possible. Just hope they don't wait too long, warm weather could be bad.

Can’t believe you grow your own cardboard...

For those that don't speak Indiana Nawthern, that's Seed's way of talking about Kale, generally considered a cooler weather crop.

Latest posts