Nawthern vs Southern

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the most scared i've ever been in my life was when i was coming down a mountain road in CO and there was a section of washboard holes in the gravel. i was not going fast at all but when i hit those holes there was absolutely no control of the car as it skipped along those bumps and it sent me over towards the edge of the road which had no guard rail at all and about a foot of clearance before i would have gone over.

had i been going slightly faster i'd have been over the side.

i had to pull over for a while after that one...

i don't know what people driving that road would do in the winter, but i suspect it wasn't being used much at all to be in that condition.

was some good fishing though. :)
On ice drive like a turtle pulling a boat.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
On ice drive like a turtle pulling a boat.

i've lived in the North most of my life. i've driven on plenty of snow and ice. my preference now is to do less of it since there are more distracted drivers on the road who go too fast for conditions, but once in a while i'm sure i'll have to go out in it again.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i've lived in the North most of my life. i've driven on plenty of snow and ice. my preference now is to do less of it since there are more distracted drivers on the road who go too fast for conditions, but once in a while i'm sure i'll have to go out in it again.
My favorite thing about snow driving is still those long telescoping bumpers people would extend to keep speeders from doing the 5 mph watusi.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are people in nawthurn more or less Hoosier than people in southern Indiana?

I'm not familiar with that Kentucky area either - having never been to the state. It's interesting to me that the families of both my grandmothers passed through the northern part of Kentucky over several generations about 200 years ago. My paternal grandfather's family was about the same distance southeast in, maybe more part of the world @Ridgerunner , eastern Tennessee. On their way west, one grandmother's ancestors went north into Indiana, the other south all the way to Texas. A generation hither and yon ... they proceeded west.

Meanwhile, paternal grandfather's family was doing a big loop, apparently trying to get away from all these westward migrants and the mayhem their government, military, and militias were causing. First by leaving Tennessee for southeast Pennsylvania and likely, the relative safety of Quaker country. Then, they too headed west through southern Illinois, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Did anyone choose to stay along the way? Of course they did. Those who either skidded off the road or those who were up early enuf to find something on the breakfast table.

Steve

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went to college in Cookeville, Tn straight south of Burkesville but not familiar with that area of Ky at all.
Trust me, you have missed nothing. (I’ll leave it there)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are people in nawthurn more or less Hoosier than people in southern Indiana?

I'm not familiar with that Kentucky area either - having never been to the state. It's interesting to me that the families of both my grandmothers passed through the northern part of Kentucky over several generations about 200 years ago. My paternal grandfather's family was about the same distance southeast in, maybe more part of the world @Ridgerunner , eastern Tennessee. On their way west, one grandmother's ancestors went north into Indiana, the other south all the way to Texas. A generation hither and yon ... they proceeded west.

Meanwhile, paternal grandfather's family was doing a big loop, apparently trying to get away from all these westward migrants and the mayhem their government, military, and militias were causing. First by leaving Tennessee for southeast Pennsylvania and likely, the relative safety of Quaker country. Then, they too headed west through southern Illinois, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Did anyone choose to stay along the way? Of course they did. Those who either skidded off the road or those who were up early enuf to find something on the breakfast table.

Steve
There is a huge difference. People south of Indy are very much like KY people (not a bad thing) while northern is more German/Swiss. Hoosiers are Hoosiers except for sports-never call a Boilermaker a Hoosier (them there’s fighting words) or an Irish either f those. Irish tend to see themselves as “just visiting” or trying to “improve the gene pool”.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are talking about the university mascots, Purdue, Notre Dame, Indiana.

😜

took me a good 10 minutes to assign them to their proper courts!

Steve

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah. Aren't school mascots great! I live in the city of the "Smurf Prostitutes" a.k.a the Presbyterian College Blue Hose.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I had some decisions to make today. Do I cut the grass before or after lunch? My wife has been kind of quiet lately, she's plotting something. So I decided before lunch so I'd be free. I need to get the grass cut (a lot of it is weeds this time of the year). It's getting so high I'm having trouble finding everything when cleaning up after the dog. The front wasn't bad but the back was ready.

Then I had to decide, short sleeves or long. It was mid-60's, sunny but windy. I opted for long sleeves. A bit warm but not that bad.

Enjoy your day.

Latest posts