• Orange

• Blue

• Dark Red

• Bright Red

Results are only viewable after voting.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going to be trying bucket gardening this year. Only have about 4 cat buckets to use and then the new ones I bought from Lowes. Craigslist doesn't have buckets for sale near me and the ones that are 3hrs away, well, they run out every time I set up a time to get them...ughh.

Picked up the "potting stations" today and then got a wireless temperature gauge. It's been about 10 warmer in the GH than outside. I'm wondering how cold it gets at night.

2016-02-29 17.36.11.jpg
2016-02-29 17.42.52.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snow is heavy, would get destroyed under weight.

Most folks just remove the snow each time it snows. I know folks with greenhouses just like that around here that they store their firewood in and they don't collapse under the weight of the snow, nor does the wind take them away.

Just takes some common sense to use them.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, unless you plan on heating it through the winter, a green house isn't going to do anything for you in the winter. We don't get a lot of winter sun so there won't be much solar gain or heat storage possibilities.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted a fancy little glass greenhouse, then we got hit with a really bad winter. Roofs on building where collapsing (my mechanic's with my car inside) We got heavy snow about every 3 days. I went with solar shed just for that reason.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snow is often "the end of the story" for greenhouses around here. And yet, a 10" snowfall is not common.

I worked in a range of greenhouses which included a couple that were built 50 years earlier. They, and the one from the 1940's was replaced while I was there. Additional ground covered with glass was included while I was there and after. We had one snowstorm that put lots of weight on the greenhouses. We could sit in the packing shed and listen to glass breaking every 15 minutes, or so. Of course, there was little reason for us to hunker down in the packing shed after awhile. Glass replacement began the next day and we soon had the holes filled. The 60°f heat had just been shooting out of them for about 24 hours but that heat also melted off most of the snow and made it possible to carry the roof ladders down the gutters and get the job dun ...

About 20 years later, there was a major snowfall. Wood roofs collapsed. Nearly all the greenhouses in that range must have been beyond repair. They were pulled down.

I suppose that if we are willing to have shopping centers with a planned life of 20 years, we shouldn't be disappointed when greenhouses come down that often.

Steve

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would run out of dry clothes if I went out to shovel off the snow during bad storms.

I'm thinking of taking the cover off for summer as well, won't need it for anything.

Before the wind kicked in and before I moved the gauge to a better location, the GH shot up to 102. I knew the gauge was in the wrong place, because when I went in, I didn't feel that temp spike at all.
Now it's reading 87, it's about 65 and windy outside now. Night temp in the GH dropped just as fast as outside last night, 23. Will need to close up the pallets and find a little heater that can do 50 or so.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, unless you plan on heating it through the winter, a green house isn't going to do anything for you in the winter. We don't get a lot of winter sun so there won't be much solar gain or heat storage possibilities.

Here's an interesting vid about greenhouse use in Maine...these guys harvest all winter long and sell the produce. Some of their field houses are not heated.

I like this dude's setup....

The smaller the greenhouse and the better the arch, the more snow it can take and the easier it is to get the snow off...especially if you use cattle panels for the hoop structure. To get the snow off is pretty easy..you just shake the hoops and a foot or two of snow will slide off the top/sides all on its own.

I plan on using some field house/green houses in the garden this next winter...I'll let y'all know how that goes, particularly in heavy snows. They will not be heated.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I couldn't see the top video, but the second one had some very interesting ideas. I was surprised when he lifted the center pathway board and fed his worms! How great was that?

Latest posts