• Orange

• Blue

• Dark Red

• Bright Red

Results are only viewable after voting.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I'll use plastic to make a second inner wall and to seal off the floor.
Ince that's up, I'll put in the heater and see how that works out.

The GH reader is saying 17F, when it should only be 23F. Front meter on porch says 22F. IDK which to believe...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That first vid is the guy that wrote Four Season Harvest and his vid is worth the watch, just to see how they got to where they are today and all the mistakes they made along the way.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Beekissed. I Googled his site on line. Perhaps I'll get his video there. I don't usually have trouble seeing U-tube, just videos that are pasted here. Dratted old computer and slow connection.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My dad had a large greenhouse - all steel frame with glass roof and walls. About 15'x30' and 12' high. Several years ago it was destroyed by a tornado. It's still out there in a forest of weeds in a pile that looks like any typical tornado disaster scene. I plan to clean up that mess someday but it is way out in back of a barn and pretty much out of sight - you know, "out of sight, out of mind".

A few years ago dad and I built this little greenhouse as a lean-to on the south side of a tool shed here at PlayStation. It is 2x2 wood frame with acrylic plastic panels. Clean on the walls and translucent white on the roof. Dirt floor with about 3" of mulch. This little greenhouse has withstood many strong storms and heavy snows without any damage (so far). If I remember correctly I spent about $180 on materials and hardware in 2012. It took one day to construct.

GEDC0963-001.JPGGEDC0982-001.JPGGEDC1003-001.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You got a steal! Harbor Freight sells a similar one for about $400.00
THIS, however, is more my speed:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Ho...rONMzityiu24jFUNZbw6waAnT28P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
I may talk to my neighbor, who has done construction to custom build this shed for me. I need to cover the "well"--DH insists that it is a cistern--that we have never accessed. It's about 25 ft deep and I'd like to get my animal water closer to the barn than my 100 ft. heated hose, which right NOW ends 100 feet from the barn. THIS would be about 30 ft from the barn. Also, before the tank cracked, I was watering my gardens from it.
I have great plans for this, including heavily insulating the building and putting in a heater with an automatic thermostat to turn it on when it gets too cold. (You can adjust the temperature for that.) When my electrician ran underground wiring to my barn he stopped at the well/cistern and put an outlet there, so I won't need to run electricity to it.
It's just like all of my other problems. Enough money solves every ill I have. ;)

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
This isn't a permanent farm, so I don't want to spend big bucks on something I will only use for a few years.

Latest posts