New CL Find

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would probably work pretty good Seed, not to mention the satisfaction of seeing them scamper off holding their bums :D. I just don't know how my clients would react to their gardener going commando.

I heard a lady talking about her frustration with town deer. She armed herself with a paintball launcher (I don't think they call them guns anymore) and started decorating the deer. She said it worked for about a week, then they would just take the hit and come right back to whatever they were munching on.

I'm not overly concerned with the ones here at home, (other than wanting to run them down and physically throttle them....did I say that out loud?)
There aren't that many, and they don't come up to the house and eat. Next year the front garden will have deterrents. You know, moats with crocodiles and piranha, guard towers, search lights, grenade launchers, ninja deer wrestlers etc. Shopping for all that on The Big River site right now. o_O

@Nyboy, you might be too dignified to run out and chase them in your shorts, but think of the entertainment value for the neighbors! You might even get a note in your mailbox.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

They are determined buggers. I'll gladly take as many as I can haul away for both of you @thistlebloom & @Nyboy problem is the upkeep costs on a refrigerated trailer to haul them back to Michigan.

I've heard of some folks using motion activated sprinklers as a deterrent. I'd imagine getting sprayed with water every time you go to eat would make you seek less annoying places to eat but I make no promises. If anything it would help keep what's left well watered....:hu

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that @Jared77 ! The motion detectors do work for awhile, but the deer will eventually learn how to stay out of range. They have to be moved pretty often to keep them guessing.
One of my client set some up two weeks ago and forgot to give me a heads up. I can verify that they are pretty startling!

These neighborhoods I work in with the rampant deer problems are a result of many generations of deer being born on lawns and getting totally habituated to people. They can't be hunted and there are no predators to thin them out. They are at the saturation level and nothing has been done about it. The city throws the issue at Fish and Game, and F&G throws it right back. Nobody wants to be responsible for the situation.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's bad. They wanted to thin the herd using the county swat team with thermal imaging/night vision scoped rifles where I grew up at. There a park that's pretty wooded and the deer hide there. They come out, eat landscaping, then bed back down in the park. There are a zillion car vs deer collisions and fatalities because of this. It's a suburban area.

It's unreal. So this plan was evaluated by the city & wildlife managers. They even had processors who they were going to pay to dress out the deer & the meat was going to go to the local food bank & soup kitchen. Great deal right? Thin the herd so less risk of disease, less collisions, and feed people in need right?

Wrong!!! Someone made a stink and filed an injunction against the action and it was upheld. Said it wasn't safe, cruel, blah blah blah.

So my folks said it was dropped because it became a political hot potato.

I feel your pain. Might I suggest a crossbow? Stealth quiet, it's point and pull once you sight it in. I have plenty of recipes for you if you need some suggestions.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is frustrating that some people, abounding in false compassion and lacking common sense can thwart a reasonable win/win solution.

One of my clients is even willing to use her property as a trap site to have them relocated, and at her expense, which I thought was extremely generous of her. So far the city hasn't taken her up on the idea.

As far as needing stealth to harvest one, that wouldn't be necessary.
You could wear clanging pots and bells and whistle loudly and still get close enough to do the job with the town deer. :\

Sorry NYboy, we kind of turned your thread into deer eradication!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
No Problem Thistle, I have big trouble with city deer. Your right stealth is not needed, I once threw a flower pot at a deer in my yard, it calmly walked off. I often wonder if car exhaust makes grass taste better. I can drive though acres of fields and woods, only to see deer browsing at rode edge, same for woodchucks.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to world of Ag. Couldn't guess the millions deer, geese, ground hogs cause. Some need to live but they are out of hand and could be used for food.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
image.jpg

Latest posts