New coop construction

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The weather was kind of crappy, but the new coop is underway. With any luck I will really finish it this coming weekend. Here's a sort of step by step...

Step one: Cup of coffee and a review of the chicken scratch notes. I can see the coop in my head, so I'm good to go.

DSC02103.JPG

Step two: Gather the necessary supervision. Cinnamon and Clover are looking on. Miss Prissy is stepping off the measurements to make sure it's big enough.
DSC02104.JPG

Step three: Frame up a floor, sheath it, set it on blocks and level it. This lot was scraped when the trailer was set on it. Most of the good top soil was pushed over the hill (what an idiot). The hard pan is only a few inches down. The astute carpenter will note that the plywood is running parallel to the joists (a big no-no in normal construction), but the joists are on 16" centers and it saved me a lot of cutting and time. Besides...it's a chicken coop!
DSC02106.JPG
DSC02109.JPG

Step four: Select a re-purposed window. This was removed from the trailer in the background. Dew cleaned it up real good. Of course the crank mechanism doesn't work, but I think I can monster garage it for manual opening.
DSC02112.JPG

Step five: Frame up some walls with window and door openings, and put some rafters on it.
DSC02111.JPG
DSC02116.JPG
DSC02117.JPG

I'll side it with T1-11 and put a roof and trim on it. Dew gets to paint it :)

Stay tuned...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang, Monty, you make it look so easy! You must have a lot of experience building things. I'm going to show this to my DH on how you did the framing. We must have taken 4 months, off and on, working on our coop/tractor when we could. We are amateurs though. Learnin' as we go...

Great work! :thumbsup

Latest posts