New coop construction

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't finish the coop this weekend :( I have too many projects going on at the same time at work and had to work yesterday to get on of them back on track. Try as I might today, I just couldn't get it done. I do have all of the wall sheathing up and the roof is complete. I also got the fascia on and the soffit vents installed. I still have to install the window, build and hang a door, install the pop door, and install the trim.

Dew did a great job cleaning up that old window. Today she primed and painted it. It's going to look great and should give the girls plenty of light and a nice breeze in the summer time. I'll update with pics tomorrow.
Monty , If it was me, I would also install a 2" x 1/2" welded wire on the inside section of the window because it will prevent, or just plain slow down and maybe change it's mind of a larger predator from entering through the window . Also, chickens are a prey animal and as such in their effort to escape at the first sign or perceived sign of danger , they will fly into the window and break it in an effort to escape.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been going to put wire over my coop window for several years now...it's still somewhere on my to-do list.
The back wall of my coop is about 80% window, and I have yet to have a hen try to fly through it. Guess I'm just lucky.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So now I have a question..... Once the new coop is finished and they will be able to occupy it, how do I introduce them to it... I am pretty sure they will not be wanting to just go into the new coop on their own.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lock them in there for a few days, maybe an entire week, if it is big enough. They need to break old habits and learn that this is where they now sleep and lay eggs. Chickens are creatures of habit and don't like change. They may not be real happy right at the start but they adapt pretty fast. Within a few days they will be at home there.

Is there a new run associated with this coop or do they have access to the old one? If everything is new you can give them access to the new run but don't be surprised if you have to physically move them into the coop at night to sleep, at least to start with. They'll soon catch on. If they still have access to the old run or if they free range, they will still go back to the old coop unless you have a fence stopping them until they break old habits.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner thanks.... they still have access to the old run. I thought about putting up a little partition to keep them away from the old coop. The only thing new is the coop. We don't let them free range often.... as a matter of fact we let them free range for the first time on Sunday.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are putting in a light they will be attracted to the light at dusk. I would lock them infor a couple days, block off the old house. Maybe feed them inside at night for a few days. They all come running for food.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with what the other say. I would move them at night so they wake up in their new home. Keep them locked in for a few days while they learn to feel comfortable and safe there. Treats, in addition to their feed and water, are sure to make them feel at home in the new place. When you do let your chickens out, be sure that the old coop is not accessible to them.

I raised my chicks in the garden shed while the coop was being built. It is less than 15 feet from the coop, but once they had spend 4-5 days in their new home, they didn't try to return to the old place. Besides, the first time they got outside they had their first chance to free-range. Not much beats that.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Make sure to toss goodies in there for them too. They can associate the new home with treats. I have new pullets in training all the time...as once they lay eggs, they are allowed out to free range. Then, free ranging involves going back into the coop through the people door, not the pop door. Some of them still think it is 2 different coops :lol:

Latest posts