New coop construction

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Smiles, In the last picture, on the very left he has tacked a 2" X 4" flat to the outer refter. When he nails on the sheeting, plywood, and roofs. the outer wall will be less inclined to be wet when it rains, just that 3 1/2" will make a big difference. We usually think of a varge rafter placed upright and to the outside, but this is great. Good thinking.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's going to be such a nice roomy coop! Are you going to get some more hens to fluff it out?

Monty, I'm very impressed that you can read chicken scratch! I guess I should send you all the notes my hens leave for me...

No more hens. This coop is actually slightly smaller than the one they are in (10 x 12). It should be much more comfortable for them in the winter and the window will give a welcome breeze in the summer.

The hens had a meeting about the new coop and input their ideas. The notes were from Ginger, since she's the only one who can write. It was actually pretty easy to read. Her handwriting is remarkably similar to mine ;)

Nice going Monty, I approve of the varge rafter. Good job.

It's nice when people notice the little details. Verge rafter, Varge rafter, same thing called different things by different people. I knew one old framer that insisted on calling it a Barge rafter. You are correct though. It's to assist in supporting the overhanging roof sheathing.

I would get as far as step 1 coffee!! How long did it take?

This was done over the weekend. I probably could have got the roof on too if I could have had all the materials on site, but I had to work around my buddy's schedule and the capacity of his truck to haul the materials for me. The hardest part was digging the math out of mothballs and calculating the angles for the studs, then calculating stud length for the side walls.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dang, Monty, you make it look so easy! You must have a lot of experience building things. I'm going to show this to my DH on how you did the framing. We must have taken 4 months, off and on, working on our coop/tractor when we could. We are amateurs though. Learnin' as we go...

Great work! :thumbsup

I don't have any formal training as a framing carpenter. I've built a lot of things, but it just comes naturally to me. I'm just one of those lucky people I guess. I love working with my hands.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your brain must definitely be geared towards it. I love seeing how people can be successfully self-taught in a skill.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't finish the coop this weekend :( I have too many projects going on at the same time at work and had to work yesterday to get on of them back on track. Try as I might today, I just couldn't get it done. I do have all of the wall sheathing up and the roof is complete. I also got the fascia on and the soffit vents installed. I still have to install the window, build and hang a door, install the pop door, and install the trim.

Dew did a great job cleaning up that old window. Today she primed and painted it. It's going to look great and should give the girls plenty of light and a nice breeze in the summer time. I'll update with pics tomorrow.

Latest posts