New coop construction

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our pop door is a tiny sliding barn door contraption......hubby designed and built. It keeps the predators out at night.
The people door is a re-purposed glass/screen storm door. Nice too. :) It allows us to clean the coop of the DL when needed, and access other things from the people side. They are all locked up tight like Fort Knox ...to keep out the raccoons, possums, etc....that we have here.
I just think it's funny.....when they all go back into the run from the big gate...and all run to the pop door. Waiting for it to open magically...so they can go into "their" coop and lay eggs. :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My people door is recycled full-glass patio door. It lets the morning sun in, but I suppose, for a predator, it is tough to realize that one 1/4 inch of safety glass is all that keeps them from the chickens they can see so clearly.

I have thought of covering the lower part of the people door to keep the birds from being frightened by something like a predator outside.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will be making sure they are introduced to the new coop with no shock. They are usually let out in the mornings at first light. Yes I can section off the old coop from the new coop. I'm sure they will be fine.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought some paint today, but not sure it will be enough....lol Anyway I went with sassy peach and white. Not sure which one will be the main color yet.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Monty , If it was me, I would also install a 2" x 1/2" welded wire on the inside section of the window because it will prevent, or just plain slow down and maybe change it's mind of a larger predator from entering through the window . Also, chickens are a prey animal and as such in their effort to escape at the first sign or perceived sign of danger , they will fly into the window and break it in an effort to escape.

That's a given. I already have 1/2" x 1/2" welded wire hardware cloth for the window. I used the same thing on the soffit vents. We got the window installed yesterday after work, but I still have to put the hardware cloth on.
I'm working on a job site an hour and a half away and working 10 hour days to boot. I didn't have time to do anything today. Tomorrow isn't looking to good either.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two people doors on mine, one from inside a shed and one to the run. On good days I'll often open the people door to the run for ventilation, latching it so the wind does not slam it shut. If it looks like rain I'll leave that door closed though to keep the coop drier. I always open the poop door since that's what they mostly use.

Latest posts