New Fruit Trees

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was told by an orchard owner that it had to be another winesap.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Winesaps are triploid, they can't pollinate anything, including each other. Same with Mutsus, Jonagolds. You can use nearly any other mid-season apple to pollinate them, though. Northern Spy blooms about the same time.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Winesaps are triploid, they can't pollinate anything, including each other. . . . You can use nearly any other mid-season apple to pollinate them, though.
I'm new to apples so I had to look up the Triploid definition as it applies to apples. Everywhere I look it says, "Apples that are pollen sterile (usually genetic triploids) will not pollinate other apples; therefore, if you plant a pollen sterile variety you will need two other pollinators."
Source: http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb0937/eb0937.pdf

So, am I understanding it correctly that if you plant a Stayman Winesap, you must have not 1, but 2 pollinators? I'm guessing that the Stayman needs one tree, but the second tree needs its own pollinator? Is that the reason for 3 trees?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just so. There exist varieties labeled "self-fruitful" but in fact you won't get nearly as good a yield as if you use them with a pollinator. So you end up needing three trees.

crazychickens

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We planted 6 to 12 fruit trees per year. Watch out for rabbits and deer! They love to nibble on tender trees in the winter. :barnie

peeps7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a pineapple pear tree that bears DELICIOUS fruit every fall. You will be happy with that little tree, ours is about 6-7 years old.

LisaJean

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of space, either, but I have planted a "Lil Big" apple tree, the Pixie Crunch variety. It grows only about 6 feet tall, but has full-sized fruit. I only planted one, I didn't see anything in the catalog about pollination.

I also have three Nanking bush cherries, two dwarf tophat bluberries (in pots), and a bunch of raspberries and blackberries.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
we planted an dwarf elberta peach over the weekend, I can't wait to get my granny apple this year as well as a few more elbertas and some pears. We already have nice collection of different cherries and a gala apple. As well as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. We are also planting grapes this year. :D I LOVE SPRING!!!!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Priss, do you take care of all of this yourself? You are quite a busy lady! You're going to have a lot of canning to do! :lol:

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Carri said:
Priss, do you take care of all of this yourself? You are quite a busy lady! You're going to have a lot of canning to do! :lol:
Yes, I do. My husband helps out on the weekends. Not much extra time for him during the week.

Latest posts