New House Construction - Finished for Now & Happy Thanksgiving!!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As you may or may not know, DH and I are at the beginning stages of building a new house on our farm. We've been crammed into a trailer for about 2 years now, and are SO happy that the end is in sight! We're building a ranch with a full basement and an ATTACHED garage (FINALLY!!!!) Here are a couple of pics of the progress so far. Even though the weather has not been cooperating (3" of rain on Sunday, and more last night), the foundation guys just keep plowing ahead.

Day 1 = giant hole in the ground
5763_919438_10151566160534826_1614976427_o.jpg

Day 2 = footers poured
5763_901133_10151568114759826_1337971092_o.jpg

Day 5 (I think) = frames in for foundation walls
5763_465877_10151576595489826_1486397328_o.jpg

Today, they are going to pour the walls, so I'll post more pics as progress moves along.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How very exciting, Curly! A brand new house, exactly like you want it... it will make the waiting, worth it. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow, I am so happy for you guys!!!

Keep posting pictures, I was to see every step. This is a great great great time you guys' lives. :D :rainbow-sun

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! I love building houses! Wish I were closer.

DH and I built our first house as well as this: our last house. I must have learned well because the second one was a lot easier than the first and he would lay out a wall before work and I'd have it/them assembled before he came home. Now I build houses with HFH. Building Habitat houses is the closest thing to building my own.

You have to be together on what you want when you build - or have one built - because the pressure of different "visions" of what is wanted has caused a lot of family fights. I know of several whose marriage didn't make it through the building.

Me? I just let DH have the final say. So there are not enough outlets in places as I suggested . . . I can live with that easier than without DH.

Bend and nod and smile then enjoy that new house!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is definitely nice to have everything where we want it, but it's so overwhelming!! There are SOOOO many decisions to make. Luckily, DH is really good at crunching numbers on all of this because my inclination would just have been to hire a general contractor to take care of everything. We have a couple of friends and relations who work in the construction industry, so that has helped tremendously.

Smart Red - DH is ALREADY talking about building our 'second' house! I told him that's fine, but he's going to be living there by himself! As far as I'm concerned, they're going to take me out of this house in a pine box! :lol: Both of us have pretty simple tastes and pretty similar interests in what the house will look like, so we at least don't have that to argue about!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Kate, that sure seems to be going up fast. I can only imagine the zillion decisions you have to make. But in the end, it will all be worth it.

Mary

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's awesome Kate! DW and I are hopefully starting on ours next year. :fl I'm still torn between poured basement walls and block. What led to your decision to go with poured?