New House Construction - Finished for Now & Happy Thanksgiving!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see maybe a dark navy or a slate gray being neutral enough. If you go with too much color, you might have to carry it out elsewhere to make it fit in. Everything looks awesome. I love the dark brown with the white cabinets. I imagine painting is a lot quicker and less frustrating prior to setting the door frames and mouldings!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your colors look lovely! My house is still the off white (champaign, I believe) that we started with 40 years ago. I would love some color, but I have no confidence in my design abilities. Of course two expanses of brick filling one wall of three rooms is color, I suppose. Perhaps that's why it took me 25 years to decide upon living room curtains. They were the ones I liked best when we built, but I kept expecting to find something better. . . finally I caved and bought them.

I like dark plum-type or dark ? (mauve for lack of a better name. It's warmer than plum) color for your door -- if that's a color you can take from your bricks.

Thanksgiving in your new home! How exciting! I almost envy you your adventure. . . until I remember living in my basement while we built, having 'early mom' and wooden crates for our first furniture, and painting pictures on the plywood floors with the babies while we worked to be able to afford real floors. Yup! It is much better to enjoy your fun vicariously. Keep up the great work. You just might give me the courage to do something about all my white.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I would paint it a light color so that it would contrast and standout from the darker walls of the house.

Mary

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! Journey - painting without having to navigate moldings or worry about spilling on the floor has been HEAVEN! :) The kitchen cabinets should go in tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post a pic of them! :)

And a follow up to the front door question: it would be reasonable to paint the color only on the outside of the door, right? I doubt I'll want the color in my living room. Also, would you paint the door casing the same color as the door? This is something I've NEVER had to think about before! :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would paint the outside face of your door a lighter color, to stand out from the brick. And yes i'd say its reasonable to paint one side of the door a different color than the other side. And i would keep the trim on the outside of the door matching the trim on the outside of the windows, etc. so it may not be the same color as the door.

Nice work its looking great so far!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ditto to a different color on the door's inside. Match it to the walls or the woodwork. My first front door was plain white metal. I spent HOURS painting the inside a wood grain to match my trim. You couldn't tell it wasn't real wood until you got nearly close enough to touch the door.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything looks fabulous! Your hard work will really pay off for many years to come! I never paint the casing the same color as the door on the front. And generally the color only goes on the outside. The inside color would match your woodwork. I wouldn't sweat the door color too much. It is so quick and easy to change- I love adding a pop of color. I renovated a kitchen in one of my rentals and used white cabinets and dark brown walls. Every person that walks into it, loves it! We used a little row of glass tiles in shades of brown, and amber for a back splash. Such a pretty combination. Celebrating the holidays in your new, beautiful home will be such a treat. Enjoy every minute of it!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't pulled the trigger on painting the outside yet, but I picked out this greyish-bluish-green called shaded spruce that I think (hope) will look pretty! :fl The inside is an almost white. I also learned the important lesson that I should just go through the trouble of taping the door hinges because peeling off my mistakes has been a serious pain!

Kitchen countertops were installed today:
5763_1383411_10151941746789826_1446899228_n.jpg

5763_1378558_10151941746379826_1178304876_n.jpg

We had a little trouble because the granite backsplash was too tall to clear the outlets. I guess the guy who came to make the template for the countertops didn't notice. We're going to see if we can get a little of our money back because we'll need to put a tile backsplash in instead.

Latest posts