New Old Truck work started

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy engines and metal both better on new vehicles than on old. But yours will be unique...

Enjoy it!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn I don't agree after looking at trucks from 80s and 90s under carriages looked like Swiss cheese. I also think engines are much simpler with less to go wrong. Can't say how many times had to bring cars to hear it is a senser or computer problem. Simple is good.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
80's still junk. I was talking cars built in last 10-15 years. Your 1950 engine is good for 100,000 miles, then time for over haul. Engines today 200,000 before you touch them. 1950 mpg-9-15; today 15-30+!mpg.
1950-1970's rust buckets. Today metal treated not to rust. Older cars do have a lot thicker, heavier metal but not stronger.
Today's vehicles engineered to withstand collisions better.
Now computers are a mixed bag. Do break down so only trained mechanic with equipment can fix them. Same software makes a sure fix more exact plus it is what makes them more efficient. Remember the days of trying to fine tune carbs and not getting them to flood out?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that different drummer in lock step with the pied piper ? :hu

By definition, someone marching to the tune of a different drummer is not in lock step with anyone else (except perhaps that one drummer). I can't imagine any sane adult preferring the pied piper's tune to that of a drummer's unless it is a teacher.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy PLSASE don't take this as trying to insult truck. I am waiting for pix and happy for you. Me, I want a 1953 Ford pick up--just too cheap to buy it.....

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dont worry seed I always value your opinion and glade when you post ! I guess I learned to drive when cars had bumpers that saved the car from damage. Today bumpers are a decorative feature, you tap them and they crack, there made of plastic. I think in todays cars gas mileage is so important, there made feather light. I was once stopped at a light in a older pickup, a woman ( sure was on cell) drove into my back. It was not a hard hit, by any means when I got out I was shocked at the damage to her front end. I had a small dent in bumper her car had to be towed.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Car/truck bodies are a 2 way street. Engineers make them so they crumple around driver taking the shock out of it but down side is they crumble very easy. Of course, drivers THINK they weren't going that fast because they think IF they were there would be a huge jolt. Body took jolt.

In "old" days to crumple a body, you had to be a moving..

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been there, Nyboy. Once a girl who had just gotten her license, ran a stop sign and hit our truck. The front of her car hit our bumper, causing her car to spin around and hit our bumper again with her rear end. Totally wiped out her car, while we had the smallest of dents in the front bumper.

Our first concern was that she was alright. Hers was that her dad would be angry about the car. A neighbor lady came rushing to the accident from down the block to tell the officer that she had let her two young children cross the street for the first time, when this girl came speeding past. The event could certainly have been much worse.

Latest posts