162.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC02353.JPG
    DSC02353.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 159

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Latest update:

Today was pretty productive. I hung the rest of the upper cabinets yesterday, and today I managed to get the new range hood installed and wired up. It was a bit of a bear because the stove and hood set about 15" left of where they used to set, so the hole in the ceiling didn't line up with the cabinet anymore. Plus, the new hood is a 7" duct while the existing duct is 5". I went to a local hardware store (M&M Hardware...got to give them props because they have everything, including great customer service!) and found everything I needed to reduce from 7" to 5" duct. It may restrict flow from the fan, so I'll try it on low first, we'll see. The alternative was cutting another hole in the roof, a project I totally dread in a metal roof mobile home.
Anyway, it's in. I still have one more upper to hang, but I won't put it up until the lowers are in. That way I can ensure that it is plumb with the lower cabinet, since it will be a free end. All of the doors are also now on the uppers.
After that, I removed the carpet from the last bad spot in the floor in the living room. It wasn't as bad as I thought, so after a few hours I completed the last of the major structural repairs...YAY!
The new tub arrived around 4:00 this afternoon, so I had to drive to town and meet the driver to pick it up. It's still sitting in the back of my van.
Tomorrow I'll fill any gaps in the kitchen floor, apply leveler where needed and hopefully start laying the wood laminate. Dew has given the walls a clean bill of health for painting, so she will be finishing that up. I still have enough materials left to replace the floor around the toilet in the master bath, so that is probably on the list too.
Dew and I also moved all of the lower cabinets into the wood shop for finishing. I doubt I'll get to it this weekend and will have to do them a little at a time after work in the evenings. Why do vacations have to go by so fast?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today's update:

My vacation is over. I'm back to work on Monday and I'm taking tomorrow off. Today I completed all of the structural repairs, including the bit of floor around the toilet in the master bath. I installed the new tub in the guest bath only to discover it is 1/2" shorter than the original tub...:he I have a plan to fix it though. I really hate mobile homes.

I hired my best friends son to coat the roof today. I just didn't have time to do it. He did a great job, well worth the $100 I paid him. He also works for the garbage company and we are working out a plan for some bulk junk removal at a reduced price.

From here on out it's a matter of putting new stuff in....

until I get the excavator...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have to get the place to the point that Dew can handle most of what's left. I know I'd find it tough to be there working alone with my DH away working so much.

Dew, I'm an expert at living in half finished properties and making do. Do what you can and don't worry about what you can't. It will get done. "Anything worth having is worth waiting for" and all that. The end result will be well worth all your effort!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have to get the place to the point that Dew can handle most of what's left. I know I'd find it tough to be there working alone with my DH away working so much.

Dew, I'm an expert at living in half finished properties and making do. Do what you can and don't worry about what you can't. It will get done. "Anything worth having is worth waiting for" and all that. The end result will be well worth all your effort!

@Smart Red I don't mind most of the time, but I do get lonely sometimes even though I still have 2 kids at home.
I have things I can get done inside and outside the house while Monty is gone.... probably make his life a little easier on the weekends. I only work during the school year, so I have a lot of time on my hands for now. I will take my time getting things done. Maybe we can be moved in by my birthday. That would be awesome!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Been playing hooky from working on the other place this week. It's been too hot to work there this week I will be going down tomorrow and working in there. Got some painting that needs done. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe we can be moved in by my birthday. That would be awesome!

Uh...whut?

Your birthday?

That's moving the completion date up by 2 full months. Let's not get too hasty here. I still have to get a 12,000 lb excavator and 40 yard dumpster in there, so I can tear down those old buildings. I also have to get a mini in there to dig the new sewer line, not to mention getting the electric finished. Oh, and finishing the lower cabinets would be nice as well as finishing the exterior cleanup/weed whacking, etc...and then there's the skirting to be done. And don't forget, I still have the rest of the linoleum to lay as well as the carpet and wood laminate. Plus I have to run a new electrical circuit for the dishwasher, since there currently isn't one. (let's not forget, the reason there are brand new cabinets is because you wouldn't leave the dishwasher behind and I couldn't make it fit in the existing cabinets). As long as we have a roof over our heads, I'm not moving into anything half finished.

I'll meet you half way, love of my life. How about Halloween?

Latest posts