New property owners again

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh...whut?

Your birthday?

That's moving the completion date up by 2 full months. Let's not get too hasty here. . . . . . As long as we have a roof over our heads, I'm not moving into anything half finished.

I'll meet you half way, love of my life. How about Halloween?

MontyJ, did I ever tell you about the first house DH and I had? Totally unfinished. No trim, no furniture, no kitchen (much less cupboards), no tub, shower, and few lights. DH spent our wedding day morning putting in a toilet and bathroom sink. I spent it begging for the bedroom set to be delivered.

And you don't want to move into something half done?

On the other hand, we had planned to get married earlier, but DH kept putting the date off two months at a time because the house wasn't finished. By the time we were going into six months, he feared I'd think he had cold feet and tell him to skip the whole idea. February ended up being as far and he dared put the wedding off. Hence the unfinished condition we moved into.

Dew, I am actually with MontyJ here. As long as there is a home for you there is no sense moving into an unfinished one. Believe me, you won't work faster for living there. You will come home tired and figure the place is "good enough" for now so it will take even longer to be finished. Give him time and get it done right. Then you can enjoy the moving experience all that much more.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i agree with Red on not wanting to move into a 1/2 finished house. especially when you have to work a full time job at the same time. my dh was and still is not the handy 'mr. fix-it' except when it comes to computers or minor electrical stuff. most of what got done in our current home is my doing. dad taught me a lot of things growing up around him but there is a lot i learned through reading up on the internet when deciding what i wanted to do with the house.

i didn't get to finish the main floor bathroom flooring and i still haven't decided what to do with it. i have VCT left over from the kitchen but i don't think that is right to use for bathroom flooring. i'd like tile but thought it would be too cold on the feet in winter. plus, i and our plumber friend came up with an idea to remove the wall between the bathroom and the laundry room to make it bigger and possibly put in a walk in shower. (it was a good idea when my dh first had his stroke). but it has been put on hold till we have enough money in reserve again.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no reason to move into a place like that Red. The new place is two doors down. I have a roof over my head right here. That place isn't going anywhere. Moving in half done will mean half done for too long. I'm not going to do it. I think Dew is hoping that we can have it ready sooner. If I can, I will. I promised by Thanksgiving, and that is a date I will not miss. If I can have it done sooner, then so be it.

Another thing to remember is this: when we move in there, I will tear this place down and build our new house. The other place is temporary. However, when we move into the new house I want to be able to leave the renovated place in "move in" condition. So, if we have to rent it out, let one of the girls move in, or have TEG customers, it will be ready to go, and I can get back to my wood shop...or more golfing ;)

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol: More golfing!!!!! I have heard THAT before!!!!!

I am not wanting to move into an unfinished home, I was just stating that it would be nice to move in by my birthday because we have gotten so much done in such a short amount of time. I want my cabinets and flooring down first also....and all that other stuff I know we need done.

You keep your smart remarks about barefooted people to your self thank you very much

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling that I am somewhere in between a typed "phone call" between Dew and MontyJ? Don't you think they could find a more private way to communicate while they are apart?

Teasing, of course. You two just keep going at it via TEG and we'll pretend we're not listening in.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling that I am somewhere in between a typed "phone call" between Dew and MontyJ? Don't you think they could find a more private way to communicate while they are apart?

Teasing, of course. You two just keep going at it via TEG and we'll pretend we're not listening in.

LOL @Smart Red this is an every day conversation between us. No one even pays attention to us anymore.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Update time:

The kitchen cabinets are 95% complete. I sanded and stained the lowers yesterday, and today I got two coats of poly on them. I still have to poly one upper and the lazy susan. The kitchen, hall, and laundry room floors are done. The laminate is down and two base cabinets are installed. The master bath floor is almost ready for linoleum. I still have to put down some leveler around the toilet area. I can get some more done tomorrow since I am taking the day off to help Dew after her accident.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
She will be so happy to have you around and doubly pleased that she can sit and watch you work on all those "birthday" activities that get the house ready for moving in. Except for the hurting, it sounds like a win-win. Of course, there is your lost income caused by that young driver that probably won't be reimbursed.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I won't lose any income, Red. I have loads of vacation time. I'm going back to work tomorrow, but I'll be local so it won't be too bad.

Today, I had a few hours this afternoon so I finished installing the lower cabinets. I only have one upper left to hang, which will probably happen tomorrow evening or Wednesday. I have a couple of sheets of oak plywood to make end panels and toe kicks out of, so I may try to get some of that done tomorrow as well. Then I have to run a new electrical circuit for the dishwasher, and route a water line for the ice maker in the refrigerator. Once those two things are done, I can finally set the counter top, install the new tile back-splash, and cross the entire kitchen off the list. Then it's on to the guest bathroom.

I have a buddy of mine that is going to bring a mini-excavator over this weekend or next and dig in the sewer line for me. After that is done, I can finally get a big excavator in and get some real work done outside.

Latest posts