new pup

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well our new pup Scooby has arrived! He will be a bit of a challenge, but that's okay! Since he's been living in an animal shelter since 2008, I think it may be a bit tough for him to adjust to the home life! Because he's so stiff and old, he blunders into things around the house, and got stuck under the kitchen table - no way to move forward, unable to back up! Plus he stuck his head right in the hot oven - doesn't really know there are doggie rules about the kitchen yet! But at 15 years old, I think he's allowed to break the rules a bit! I just picked up a huge wire kennel for him to be in when we're not home - just because I'm worried about his safety! He knows how to go out the dog door, but hadn't come back in yet, so I don't want him going out when we're not home and being out all day in the snow and cold. Anyway, here's a pic of the cute guy!

8229_002.jpg

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awww! Kudos to you for adopting him it takes a special person to do that.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
good for you and scooby :clap :clap a lot of older dogs are passed over at animal shelters... they need a home as well considered yourself hugged :hugs

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very cute! After seeing what happens to the shelter's animals on the "Earthlings" documentary, I very much appreciate your adoption! What breed is he? Or is he a mutt? I haven't seen a dog like him...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH!!!!! He is beautiful! What a luck boy.
It's a challenge but so very rewarding to take care of these older guys.
:hugs

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well...Scooby is a hound mix. My guess is with chocolate lab, he has some striking similarities to our now passed on chocolate lab Max! DH says he'll probably just call him max, which shouldnt phase scooby at all since he cant hear hardly at all!! Scooby was apparently originally owned by a mountain lion hunter, and was trained to kill cats.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great dog!

He might have a hard time visually. At his age, dogs smell farther than they see, so make sure he understands all the smells around your place. He's got some hound in him. :)

Years ago we had a chesapeke bay retriever, ole beam. When he got old he pretended he could see, probably could a little, but it was his nose. Almost like vision. High resolution smelling. Beam always set a slobbered and chewed stick near the back gate and another one near the back door. Also spotted often were things like frisbees all slobbered and chewed near the 2 doors to the garage. He used them as beacons, sometimes picking them up and slobbering more on them to freshen the beacon. I sure do miss ole beam! I recently saw some photos of his multiple great to who knows how many generations grandpups who look a lot like him. More curls to the fur though.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting that he'd use a hound/lab mix for cats. But then again it's gotta take a pretty special dog to run cats. Not like running hogs or coon or even bears. Around here bears are pretty quick to tree same with coons. Cats? I bet they are quicker to stand and fight vs get treed. They are NOT a small critter to tangle with. Much respect for Scooby if he tangled with them & is still around.

Besides if he is part hound they have pretty selective hearing anyway. At least all the hounds I've been around & met even if they were young dogs. Just glad to see he gets to enjoy his remaining time being loved

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, that's awesome. I hope he enjoys a blissful retirement. :)

The hardest time I've had with my dogs has been arthritis/hip problems in their old age. Seems afterwhile many will have to go pee a time or two in the middle of the night too. My grandma would get up at 3am faithfully with her ailing Irish Setter. Good thing you have a doggie door!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mountain Lion hunting dogs don't do the actual deed of killing the Mountain Lion. A pack of several large hounds "tree" the mountain lion, then make steady yelps to alert the human hunter who has usually a rifle.

That's about all I know about it.

Latest posts