New Record

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would love to have a job. But it will be an uphill battle for me now, at 55, and having been unemployed now for 7 years. Now everyone wants to hire through online applications, with testing.
I already fit the other attributes...non-smoking, always on time or early, work over as needed, volunteer to work holidays, don't pull that crazy stuff-like not showing up for work on Fridays etc.
Anybody down here in SC hiring? :idunno

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You know how we always seem to be giving TMI to everybody? So, I decided to lessen it. I am at Menard's (big box hardware store, like Lowe's) and nobody is shopping, so I ask the clerk for help. He finds me the one thing I had on my list and then I ask about the 25 ft extension cords on sale. They are graded, so he wants to know what I need it for. I just tell him I need it for a heated dog water bowl. This other man shopping tells the clerk that my water bowl is graded higher than the clerk thinks, then kinda scowls at me, like I keep my dog outside in this bitter weather--this morning's wind chill was -22 F and mentioned on the Weather Channel, btw.
Didn't bother to say it was for my chickens.
Sorta think I should have spoken up. Then I would have been his hero, instead of a skunk.
I also bought a screw on plastic connection cover.
My birds are taking it for granted that they have water in this horrible weather. I spot cleaned the coop the other day and it was incredible how warm it was inside, just a wooden building without drafts. The shelter I fashioned on the S, W and N sides underneath the coop has made it tolerable for them to eat and get some sun without the killing wind. Still getting 1-3 eggs/daily.
Gotta fight off the starlings who are eating their food and drinking their water. Can't think of any way to get rid of them without harming my chickens, so I try to clean up after them.
Cats have been going out for short jaunts, then sleeping on the couch with Pyg. When the temperatures have moderated I bought some wild bird food to put out in the other chicken pen with another water bowl and I hope to lure the starlings there for my cats to cull.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I bought a new heated bottle for my rabbit froze solid this am
For the worst cold weather you might want to try just a small rubber feeding bowl. Buy 2 of them and keep putting out the new one, filling with water, then knock out the ice best you can and bring it inside to thaw. Extra feeding bowls are never a waste of money. I am using one right now to feed that stupid feral cat that refuses to get friendling and come inside, like the others have.
Chickens do Great with a heated dog water bowl, but rabbits (and my QH Buster Brown) chew on everything and would try to kill themselves.
Btw, my water bowl was fully exposed to the temperature and wind when it got bitter cold, still kept the water liquid. I try to keep any water away from where my animals are housed to keep them dry.

Latest posts