New to Hen N Chicks

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I put one in a spot where I've had trouble growing roses, and it seems happy enough. Then, I bought a second one, still in the pot, and was wondering if I can pull some of the "chicks" off and replant. NEVER had this plant before. Any advice? Thanks! :hugs

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are pretty hard to hurt. If you pull off a few chicks and stick them in sand-ish soil, water well and they should root just fine.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are easy to root. They will sprout from the leaf, like cane said, just keep watered. Hope they do well for you!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are among my favorites! Very appealing to me. I have had a difficult time with them. The squirrels find them delicious...and I just learned there are some that are annuals. I had no idea. I bought a really cool succulent grouping this year. A couple leaves broke off and I put them in a little dish with water. In short order they rooted, and then began to grow leaves! Planted them in the dirt and they are growing fine. Good luck with yours!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I keep them in my unheated green house over the winter with no problem.
If they are in a small container they get kinda rough around the edges, I think because the roots probably freeze.
I've never planted them outside.
I didn't think any of them were annuals.

THANX RICH

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm a bit warmer then you are, I'm in zone 6. But I've never had any trouble with them. They even survived last winter. We also almost never water them and they grow and multiply. I have no problem with deer or squirrels eating them. Once they flower the mother plant will die back though. Also keep in mind that hen and chicks is a common name used for many different plants, and not all of them are cold hardy.

Latest posts