New to starting plants from seed, could use some pointers

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You are correct... I mis-read the information I had found. Scotts is not owned by Monsanto.... they're just in bed with them business-wise. Scotts/MiracleGro does seem to be its own entity, but it appears to be so deeply embedded in Monsanto's armpits that they have exclusive rights to marketing the Evil Empire's deadly products. That's a pretty deep connection... Monsanto makes the poisonous Roundup, then uses Scotts to market it for them so their hands are "clean".

It would almost be better if they WERE owned by Monsanto. At least then they wouldn't be so sneaky about their whole association. Their marketing and investor materials I've found online are very cautiously worded and basically say, "Monsanto doesn't own us, but they tell us what to do & we do it."

It's like the mob doesn't really own some of the businesses it deals with, but because of strong-arming people, they "own" those businesses.

But I do appreciate you pointing out to me my original error. Thank you.

They are still so deeply embedded with Monsanto's dirty dealings that I will not buy MiracleGro again in the future, especially when I can get good organic soil locally.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In a more topic-related update regarding starting my seedlings, I had started a second tray a few days ago. Last night, the cats went a little nutso and knocked over my entire tray of dirt-and-seeds. They hadn't even sprouted yet. It went EVERYWHERE. It looks like I will be starting over from scratch again.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am really mad at my cat.... 18 of the planted seedlings were from very expensive heirloom seeds that will now never see the light of day.

I think I'm gonna scatter the "soil" out in the garden and see what comes up rather than letting the whole kit and kaboodle go to waste. I can always "thin" later.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
You are correct... I mis-read the information I had found. Scotts is not owned by Monsanto.... they're just in bed with them business-wise. Scotts/MiracleGro does seem to be its own entity, but it appears to be so deeply embedded in Monsanto's armpits that they have exclusive rights to marketing the Evil Empire's deadly products. That's a pretty deep connection... Monsanto makes the poisonous Roundup, then uses Scotts to market it for them so their hands are "clean".

It would almost be better if they WERE owned by Monsanto. At least then they wouldn't be so sneaky about their whole association. Their marketing and investor materials I've found online are very cautiously worded and basically say, "Monsanto doesn't own us, but they tell us what to do & we do it."

It's like the mob doesn't really own some of the businesses it deals with, but because of strong-arming people, they "own" those businesses.

But I do appreciate you pointing out to me my original error. Thank you.

They are still so deeply embedded with Monsanto's dirty dealings that I will not buy MiracleGro again in the future, especially when I can get good organic soil locally.
I under stand what you are saying BUT don't you think that all businesses that sell Glyphosate (Roundup) has rights to marketing?
What you have to keep in mind is that Monsanto patented Glyphosate under the trade name Roundup and that Glyphosate is marketed under many other names including many store brand names and IMHO if you are going to boycott one company for marketing Glyphosate then you should be boycotting all of them including Lowe's, Home Depot, Kamart, Walmart, Target etc. since they are marketing Glyphosate under the trade name Roundup and also under other trade names.

Now I am not backing Monsanto in any way but I do use some of there products as in the Greenhouse plastic I use on my greenhouse, I also use Scotts products around the house and business.

Chris

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That means Monsanto is extremely tricky and insidious

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not shop at any of the stores you mentioned for other reasons (I don't like big corporations, period), though I will admit to occasionally going to Walmart because that is the only store that sells some of the sugar-free products I use. I go to Walmart maybe once every 2 months or so, if that often; and we never go to Target or Lowe's or Home Depot (well, I do admit to occasionally going to Home Depot and looking around but only spend maybe $50 a year in there). I don't knowingly use any products containing glyphosate. I do not use herbicides in my yard, EVER. If I see a plant in my yard and I don't want it there, I pull it out by hand. It's a pretty easy concept.

I didn't want to start an argument with you and am sorry it has degenerated into that. I'm just expressing that I choose not to use certain products or support certain companies if I can help it.

I just wanted to talk about a good way to start seedlings, which is why I started this thread.

But I'll definitely leave now, as this thread is no longer about a good way to start seedlings.

Have a great day.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok... wondering if I've missed some basic point about jiffy pots.

I've been rooting rosemary cuttings in water and they're doing great. I was at the Dollar General last night and saw 8 little round jiffy pots for $1.50. A little further down was a bag of seed starter soil. "Hummm.. why not? The rosemary has good roots, may as well get them in some dirt"
I filled each pot 1/3 full of 'soil'. Then, held the rosemary with it's baby roots touching the soil and filled it the rest of the way up so that the roots were burried and the little cutting was sticking up out of the dirt just like a 'real plant'. I got all 6 potted and then put the pots in the top of an egg carton and watered them. The water just sat there. I gave it a while and checked again the little bit of water had absorbed so I gave them some more - it sat on top.. "Hummm - this is going to take hours!" So I switched out the egg carton top for a deep plastic storage container. I settled the pots in and started pouring around their bottoms - they floated. "Oh well, they'll soak it up eventually."
Well this morning they were still floating!

Did I miss something?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mind embarrassign myself. I'll ask a really silly question. Did those maybe have clear plastic wrapped around them?

I've never used jiffy pots so I really don't have any experience with them.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've always found that Jiffy pots were dried out and needed a thorough soaking before you plant anything in them. i'm not a fan of their use because you never know how long they've been on the shelf at the store.

Latest posts