New to starting plants from seed, could use some pointers

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
thistlebloom said:
Lower your lights so they are almost, but not quite touching the leaves.
Thank you! Someone else told me 4-6 inches from the top of the tray dome. Should I remove the clear plastic dome?
yes I would once they have sprouted you dont need the clear dome on top...it also filters the light some

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Years ago there was a gardening show on PBS called the Victory Garden and Mr Crockett use to make his own seed starter by cooking his compost over a charcoal fire...it sterilized it... he used a cooking thermomiter to make sure he had high enough temps to kill off every thing...and then he would add vermiculite to loosen the friablity...when potting anything the secret is cleanliness...you can reuse potting flats/pots as long as you are sure they are clean... I use bleach when I wash mine and then rinse...

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Years ago there was a gardening show on PBS called the Victory Garden and Mr Crockett use to make his own seed starter by cooking his compost over a charcoal fire...it sterilized it... he used a cooking thermomiter to make sure he had high enough temps to kill off every thing...and then he would add vermiculite to loosen the friablity...when potting anything the secret is cleanliness...you can reuse potting flats/pots as long as you are sure they are clean... I use bleach when I wash mine and then rinse...
The shows name was Crockett's Victory Garden not The Victory Garden. ;)
After James (Jim) Crockett past away they changed the name of the show to The Victory Garden and the show went down hill ever sense.
His entire site (Greenhouse, Garden and everything else) was built on a section of parking lot outside of the PBS station in Mass. and was the reason for him having raised beds.

If Im not mistaken Crockett recommends heating the compost to 400 deg. and he also says that it smells very bad.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chris09 said:
The Mama Chicken said:
chris09 said:
Just go's to show that Monsanto is in the Organic Business also since both Scotts and Miracle Grow sells organic products.

Chris
If you believe that I've got a bridge I can sell you.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7054_unnamed.jpg
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7054_3329394601p.jpg

Chris
Editing my post above to add another company, Whitney Farms. Whitney Farms puts out a line of organic soil-less mix and is also in partnership with Scotts/ Miracle Grow.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/templates/index.jsp?pagUrl=whitney_farms&icid=hp1_mm_p_wf

Chris

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Couldn't you just use plastic and cover a plot at a time for about a week to kill weeds and stuff and sterilize? I think I've read that opaque plastic is the best for this. =/
it wouldnt sterilize in that short a time...

Crocket used a charcoal grill out side so the smell wouldnt be all that bad... I have used my oven and all it smelled like was dirt...I dont know about you but I love the smell of dirt....

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chris09 said:
chris09 said:
Editing my post above to add another company, Whitney Farms. Whitney Farms puts out a line of organic soil-less mix and is also in partnership with Scotts/ Miracle Grow.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/templates/index.jsp?pagUrl=whitney_farms&icid=hp1_mm_p_wf

Chris
Chris what about Johnny's 512 and Hoffman's soil less are they part of Monsanto??? I use both...I willhave to check the small print from now on...

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chris09 said:
grow_my_own said:
Yep, they do make organic products & I've seen them in the stores. Even though they're organic, I still will not buy that brand... to do so would still put my dollars into the Evil Empire's pocket, and I'm doing everything I can to prevent that from happening.
I foud out some time ago that you will always be putting money into Monsanto's business just like any other big business.
Monsanto has there has there hand in in nearly everything from plastics to organics.
Look how many things you use every day that contains either corn or soy been oil or had the use of these oils wile the product was being made.
Chris
I am aware that they have their invisible hands in many products, but given the opportunity to make a conscious and informed choice to not support Monsanto's dirty little business, I will always choose the not-Monsanto product.

When we don't have a choice, that's one thing. When we do have a choice, we should choose what our own conscience can live with. As it is, I have a perfectly good bag of MiracleGro here that I'm not going to let go to waste because I bought it before I knew about Monsanto's dirty dealings in the food business & it was an expensive bag. But it's the last bag of MiracleGro I'll ever buy.

We always vote first with our dollars, second at the polls.

Besides, my primary concern is having healthy plants and a healthy garden. I can get good quality organic potting soil from a local producer here in the foothills, which is what I will be using from now on.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
chris09 said:
chris09 said:

Chris
Chris what about Johnny's 512 and Hoffman's soil less are they part of Monsanto??? I use both...I willhave to check the small print from now on...
I will try to get a list together and post it in a new thread. I know there will be a few Co. that are on the list.

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
Well, everything in my Jiffy pellets sprouted, only to die about 3 weeks later. I did everything I could think of. The seedlings I started in soil are doing great. The ones in the Jiffy pellets seemed to "dry out" at the base of the stem only, then keeled over. About 1/4 of them are still hanging in there, but the rest are all dead.

I'll never use Jiffy pellets again.

I also found out Miracle Gro is owned by Scotts, a Monsanto owned company, so I won't be using their seed starting soil again in the future. I cannot find any information that says whether or not Jiffy is linked to Monsanto.
If you don't mind me asking where did you here that Scotts is owned by Monsanto? I have been doing research on Scotts/ Miracle Grow since my post (#45) and found nothing about this.
What I found is that Scotts/ Miracle Grow has a distribution agreement to use and sell Round Up products through there Scotts Lawn Care Company.

Chris

Latest posts