New to starting plants from seed, could use some pointers

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Lower your lights so they are almost, but not quite touching the leaves.
Thank you! Someone else told me 4-6 inches from the top of the tray dome. Should I remove the clear plastic dome?

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, everything in my Jiffy pellets sprouted, only to die about 3 weeks later. I did everything I could think of. The seedlings I started in soil are doing great. The ones in the Jiffy pellets seemed to "dry out" at the base of the stem only, then keeled over. About 1/4 of them are still hanging in there, but the rest are all dead.

I'll never use Jiffy pellets again.

I also found out Miracle Gro is owned by Scotts, a Monsanto owned company, so I won't be using their seed starting soil again in the future. I cannot find any information that says whether or not Jiffy is linked to Monsanto.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
Well, everything in my Jiffy pellets sprouted, only to die about 3 weeks later. I did everything I could think of. The seedlings I started in soil are doing great. The ones in the Jiffy pellets seemed to "dry out" at the base of the stem only, then keeled over. About 1/4 of them are still hanging in there, but the rest are all dead.

I also found out Miracle Gro is owned by Scotts, a Monsanto owned company, so I won't be using their seed starting soil again in the future. I cannot find any information that says whether or not Jiffy is linked to Monsanto.
Sounds like the ones in the Jiffy pots got a fungal disease called damping off. They may have been kept too wet. Sorry, I know how hard it is to lose so many seedlings. :(

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:

Just go's to show that Monsanto is in the Organic Business also since both Scotts and Miracle Grow sells organic products.

Chris

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
chris09 said:
grow_my_own said:

Just go's to show that Monsanto is in the Organic Business also since both Scotts and Miracle Grow sells organic products.

Chris
If you believe that I've got a bridge I can sell you.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
chris09 said:
grow_my_own said:

Chris
If you believe that I've got a bridge I can sell you.
7054_unnamed.jpg

7054_3329394601p.jpg

Chris

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, they do make organic products & I've seen them in the stores. Even though they're organic, I still will not buy that brand... to do so would still put my dollars into the Evil Empire's pocket, and I'm doing everything I can to prevent that from happening.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
Yep, they do make organic products & I've seen them in the stores. Even though they're organic, I still will not buy that brand... to do so would still put my dollars into the Evil Empire's pocket, and I'm doing everything I can to prevent that from happening.
I foud out some time ago that you will always be putting money into Monsanto's business just like any other big business.
Monsanto has there has there hand in in nearly everything from plastics to organics.
Look how many things you use every day that contains either corn or soy been oil or had the use of these oils wile the product was being made.

Chris

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm using jiffy pellets. I have them in used, cleaned out marjarine containers and plastic food storage containers whose lids were broken or lost. I find that once they have expanded with water and you have planted the seed you can cover and keep checking them so that they don't dry out and so that the seeds don't rot from TOO much water. Most importantly you WATER FROM BELOW, hence using the containers.
I also think that there are many ways to start seeds and we find the ways that are easiest for us to do. :hugs

Latest posts