New Trailer

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A neighbor's trailer was stolen. His place is not fenced, they just backed up, hitched up and it was gone. Our place is totally fenced and we have big dogs. Another neighbor is totally fenced and has big dogs. It seems to be a pretty good deterrent.

nowadays a big camera on a tall pole that is motion activated... and a big chain with a lock put on an in-the-ground anchor.

we don't have stuff out like that here and since i've been here over-night all the time now nobody bothers us much. before, when i wasn't here all the time people trying to break in and stuff being vandalized... it was pretty rediculous.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked up my first trailer the other day for $1800. I'll redo the decking and build some walls for it and with some luck it should serve my family well :)

View attachment 30568

looks like a decent find. :) i have no idea what the price of such things would be, but as long as the metal is sound, the welds aren't cracked and it rolls without smoke coming out of the tires... :)

oberbrunner

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with a used trailer I repurchased a few years ago. It needed some work, especially on the decking, but after a weekend fixing it up, it was as good as new.

I learned to regularly check and maintain the trailer's tires and wheel bearings, as they can wear out faster than you'd expect, especially with heavy use. Also, consider waterproofing or sealing the new decking to extend its life.

For more ideas on refurbishing or even looking at other options in the future, this page with equipment trailers might be helpful. It's always good to have resources for comparison and inspiration.

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A neighbor's trailer was stolen. His place is not fenced, they just backed up, hitched up and it was gone. Our place is totally fenced and we have big dogs. Another neighbor is totally fenced and has big dogs. It seems to be a pretty good deterrent.
Theft is so crazy these days, running rampant. My KIA has some sort of software flaw that allows a thief to drive off with it without needing a key. So now whenever I park it (at the grocery store, vet clinic, farmers market, etc) I have to attach a steering wheel lock to deter car thieves and unlock it again when I return.

My 2 cars are housed in the garage, but even then, the latest scam is software to access key fobs stored in your house from outside your house. I've never used electronic key fobs preferring to use so-called valet keys. I don't like access to my vehicle to be dependent on batteries, but I have them. So now my foil-wrapped key fobs are stored in tea tins with secure lids, and my cars are safe...for now, until the next scam appears.

Guard dogs! My bigger dog (she looks bigger than she is, but it's all hair), the sheltie, tears around like a maniac, barking furiously, whenever a stranger comes near the house. She does it because she fears strangers, so she's only a possible perceived danger to intruders. My little chihuahua on the other hand actively dislikes strangers and is ready to go to war with anyone who tries to enter the house. She's the one likely to bite an intruder, but it would be only death from the ankles down.

Latest posts