New Truck Disaster

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ahhh @Ridgerunner the memories your post triggered, :loveBoth our sons went up to and achieved the Rank of Eagle in Boy scouts. I was a Cub scout leader for many years, then DH stepped in and was Scout Master for many more. Oh the Fun we all had and the memories that will last a lifetime. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes Eagle is an achievement. That was not given to them, they earned it. Did you know that if a boy earns Eagle he gets an automatic rank advancement when he joins the military service? I don't know if the Girl Scouts have the same thing?

My boys never earned Eagle, but that was their choice. I thought so much of the Scouts organization I stayed in as an assistant leader for several years after the boys were out. I took care of advancement for the troop and taught a few merit badges too. To show how weird I am I once taught a "textiles" merit badge at a winter camp because one of our boys wanted it. I only had three students total that week. Not a popular merit badge.

Something else I liked to do was make neckerchief slides to hand out at our awards/advancement ceremonies. I'd try to have something for every boy, some as a group, some as individuals. The other leaders were not immune either. One time our Scoutmaster went up to Vicksburg to check things out before our camping/hiking trip and missed his exit off the interstate. When we took the troop up there, he missed the same exit again. He knew he was in trouble. The next awards ceremony he received a neckerchief slide with an interstate exit sign on it. One boy caught his first fish ever when on one of our fishing trips. He got a big foam rubber fish slide, which was about three times as big as the fish he caught.

DSCF3718.JPG

These are some I made. The bottom one was for a summer camp we did in north Georgia. Every evening skunks would roam the campground. No one ever got sprayed but many of us had close encounters.

The brass looking one was for the Appalachian Trail. For one summer camp we went to Camp Daniel Boone in North Carolina and did a five day four night hiking trip, backpacking everything we needed. On the fifth day we did a whitewater rafting trip before we went to the base camp and took a shower.

The one with the cannon was for hiking the Shiloh Battlefield.

One of our former cub scout mothers worked for the Triple AAA baseball affiliate in New Orleans. She got out troop to present the Canadian flag at the Triple AAA All-Star game that was held their one year. Since there was a Canadian team in the league their flag was displayed. A Marine Honor Guard detail presented the American flag. We got there early and the marines taught our boys a real snappy move involving reversing direction and a sharp weaving move. Those marines were good teachers and really nice guys. But the guy in the sound booth messed up and started the national anthem before they even got into position, let alone got to show off. All they could do was stop where they were. That's why the Canadian flag.

One time we took the boys horseback riding. A guy had an operation where he did trail rides and offered a huge discount to scout troops. Each person got a slide with a horse the same color as the one they rode.

Yeah, @Carol Dee there are some memories.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:love@Ridgerunner I love the slides. What a fun idea. Yes, we are very proud of the boys earning their Eagle. But neither one joined the military. (I does look nice on a resume too.) We had a leader that EVERY single time he went on a campout it would rain, the joke soon became, If in drought, have Mark campout!
Gotta love those Mom and Dads that stay around after their sons are done. Jim V. at 70+ still goes to Scout camp , Boundary Waters and monthly hikes, bike rides and campouts with the troop. The kids LOVE Mr. Jim. :hugs

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this the mater truck from like a year or two back. I am going to have to go back and get up to speed on the saga.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes mater truck July will be 2 years. Lesson learn unless you know how to restore don't buy one that needs it. The old man's brother was parnter in bussness is supose to finish truck. It is all coming down to one wield the windsheild can not go back in till its done. I was charged addital $500 just to do that one wield. A friend pointed out to me this is the 2nd time someone working on my car died. 1st was killed in front of my nephew unloading elcamino from flatbed.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
talking about 'car'ma!

Nyboy, what did you ever do to a car/truck in your former life that this could be happening to you now? i think you should have spent the money & gone with that client that you groom for that restores cars. does he charge anything just to take a look & give opinion on what could be done?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i mentioned yesterday about the troubles you've had with getting this truck done to my dad. he still keeps talking about how much he liked his 55 truck when he had it. the only reason he had to get rid of it was because of having 2 kids & hard to pack a family into the front seat of it! i was too young to remember the truck though. i do remember something of a blue truck in the back yard at some point in time.

if that truck when running sounds like an inboard motor like on the old Chris Craft boats i would have been jumping over a truck too! you did say it is automatic right? ever thought about if you sell it how much you'd want for it?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very rare to have a truck from 55 automatic that why I bought it. I hate driving stick :hide I call this my for ever truck, I tell my nephew when I am gone its his. not sure how smart it was to tell him.

Latest posts