new yorker tomato

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think it's all about making up your mind to put your "toys" away. I use electric tools and I am constantly having to roll up long electrical cords so that I don't leave them out in the weather, or where "Buster Brown" will chew on them plugged in. It is SUCH an effort to do so. Certainly my DD's don't always put their toys away, but we drive by a place with not one but TWO John Deere riding mowers that have been left out to rust for nearly two years now. Obviously they don't run, but what a waste when they could have been put away. The owners have a building available. At the very least a tarp would have helped. Even my wheelbarrows are under shelter, if not in a building when I am not using them, which is easily 6.5 days/week--there are days that I work and cannot clean up with them.
DH and I have been straightening up our toolshed, left a mess by our DD's from the last project they did there, though they use their own garage now. He even found some very expensive bullets, rim shot, for a gun that he owns and he even glued the old box back together. I am moving ALL tools to my free standing 7 drawer toolbox there, however, when I need to buy at Harbor Freight I will pick up a freebie, like the 4 in 1 screwdriver that I now keep in this desk under my laptop in my home office. Just used it today, and Yes, I put it back in the drawer.
It is great to go do a job and know that your tools will be available, instead of spending 1/2 the day looking for them and giving up on the job.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now you see what we have to put up with all these years. Constantly scaring us with potential dangers. Wait till she starts on the nitrogen in the air which is a precursor to dry ice so that we’ll freeze while breathing.....

??? did you mean CO2? ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put a couple strings of Christmas lights in an plastic under-bed storage box and sat my seed starting trays on top. The thermometer sitting next to them says that the top of the box is about 75*.
;)
(saw it here on TEG somewhere)

This is the best photo I could find from 2011. I built a wooden box and lined the bottom with foil. I strung Xmas tree lights back and forth across it. I control the amount of heat it puts out by how many bulbs work. I stick a thermometer in the potting mix to see how warm the plant roots are, my target is around 70 to 75 F. That sprouts anything from kale to peppers.

Box.JPG

Cane, I stole the idea too. Not sure if it was somewhere on here or somewhere else. Since 2011, does that count as short term or long term memory loss? :idunno

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is great to go do a job and know that your tools will be available, instead of spending 1/2 the day looking for them and giving up on the job.

i spent a half hour yesterday when i was cleaning up trying to find my little hand rake. i almost gave up, but tried one last time and found it.

i keep my own tools in my own area because i am very much organized by the memory of the last place i put something and hate if it gets moved.

was trying to reorganize/consolidate to get back some space made progress this past winter - should be able to get a whole shelf back this coming winter.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@flowerbug my DD"s replaced the rotting out box that was on the outside of my tool shed with a Rubbermaid one WITH a floor and I absolutely love it!! I bought a couple of cheapo plastic shelves for it and I put most of my gardening tools in it, except for those that I use most every day in the barn, also. I think you need one for Mother's Day!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug my DD"s replaced the rotting out box that was on the outside of my tool shed with a Rubbermaid one WITH a floor and I absolutely love it!! I bought a couple of cheapo plastic shelves for it and I put most of my gardening tools in it, except for those that I use most every day in the barn, also. I think you need one for Mother's Day!

we're redoing the garden shed soon... i didn't think of it as Mother's day gift for Mom, so thanks for the idea. ;)

toolbox we have is plastic craftsman version and it smells like dog s**t. i will not regret setting that out for recycling when the time comes...

Latest posts