new yorker tomato

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m all about using newer genetics as long as flavor is there. How a plant handles the one area vs another is a strong consideration. Prime example in okra as Clemson Spineless is an outstanding variety but hates to go north-becomes woody fast. Other varieties I’m finding are much better.

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@majorcatfish NYer being the only 1 with wilt, makes me rethink heirlooms. They fell out of faver because of disease. That lead to the development of disease resilient hybrids.

The New Yorker should be resistant to V - Verticillium Wilt (Vert), A - Alternaria Stem Canker, and EB - Early Blight.
Heirloom tomatoes can be and some/most are disease resistant, remember all heirloom tomatoes were at one time a hybrid tomato.

Example the New Yorker was a cross of (Geneva 11 x Rhode Island) x Fireball making it a hybrid tomato back in 1966.

I wonder if @majorcatfish's tomato has F - Fusarium Wilt and not Verticillium Wilt, the two are similar in looks, are often confused and the New Yorker is not resistant to Fusarium Wilt.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is so hard for me to think of WV as being even close to north. not because i'm biased or anything, but that is such a long ways from here. :)

i hope they do well for you Bee. :)

That's our plight....northern folks think we are southern, while the southern folks think we are northern. The truth lies in the middle somewhere~pun intended~as we are the northern most southern state and the southern most northern state....but we ARE below the Mason Dixon line, so technically, we are a southern state.

Just the most northern one. :D

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well mine are off to a poor start :( Still small in peat pots, Better get them planted SOON.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who did they fight for in Civil war ?

West Virginia is one of two American states formed during the American Civil War (1861–1865), along with Nevada, and is the only state to form by seceding from a Confederate state. It was originally part of the British Virginia Colony (1607–1776) and the western part of the state of Virginia(1776–1863), whose population became sharply divided over the issue of secession from the Union and in the separation from Virginia, formalized by admittance to the Union as a new state in 1863. West Virginia was one of the Civil War Border states.

Estimates of the numbers of soldiers from the state, Union and Confederate, have varied widely, but recent studies have placed the numbers about equal,[24]from 22,000 to 25,000 each.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If WV seceded from confederate state and was admitted to union wouldnt that make them north state?

Technically, the north and south are divided by the Mason Dixon line...

The Mason–Dixon line, also called the Mason and Dixon line or Mason's and Dixon's line, was surveyed between 1763 and 1767 by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon in the resolution of a border dispute involving Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Delaware in Colonial America. It is still a demarcation line among four U.S. states, forming part of the borders of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia (originally part of Virginia before 1863). Later it became known as the border between the North and South. It also became the slavery border before the Missouri Compromise.

In popular usage, the Mason–Dixon line symbolizes a cultural boundary between the North and the South (Dixie). Originally "Mason and Dixon's Line" referred to the border between Pennsylvania and Maryland. After Pennsylvania abolished slavery, it served as a demarcation line for the legality of slavery. That demarcation did not extend beyond Pennsylvania because Delaware, then a slave state, extended north and east of the boundary. Also lying north and east of the boundary was New Jersey, where slavery was formally abolished in 1846, but former slaves continued to be "apprenticed" to their masters until the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution in 1865.

WV is kind of unique when it comes to the Civil War, and as a state, being the only state to secede from another state.