Newbie Here! Hello from SC!

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh I see @digitS' ! haha yes that does sound like a good type of lettuce for us Southerners ;)
I shall have to check it out sometime.

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@ninnymary Not this time around! Grew those last year in a large pot, did pretty well!
Wanted to try some different vegs this year :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to have my squash. I've tried planting in a big pot but they don't do well. In the ground my zucchini does well but my crook neck seems to struggle. I also can't seem to grow patty pans. Can't figure it out.

This year I'm trying a spineless, open habit zucchini and trying crook neck again.

Mary

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@ninnymary That all sounds great! Keep me posted on how they do! I am most excited this year for my carrots and beets

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @CarolinaGardenerSC! Do you live near the coast? I haven't been to SC coast area for several years. I am longing to hear the roar of the waves and smell the salt. And look for shark teeth.
I plant tomatoes and peppers, pole beans and cukes. I have had some luck with sweet potatoes in the last couple of years, and we eat so many (Yea for sweet potato fries!) I will plant them again. I am trying white potatoes again, got them in the ground on Easter.
Nothing very exotic here. I am planting more flowers this year. Food for the soul.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@CarolinaGardenerSC welcome from northeast Texas. Your mention of learning gardening from your father made me smile. My earliest memories are of toddling behind my Daddy in his garden. I absorbed his knowledge like a sponge. He was organic before organic was cool. I have good memories of my Daddy and his garden. My husband will look at me sometimes and ask how do you know that? I tell him, I just know.

Congratulations on your gardening efforts. I am glad you want to put to use what you have learned from your father. Can't wait to hear more about your garden!

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@so lucky so glad you have been to SC! I live about 35 minutes from the coast. I am more out in "the country" as Charlestonians call us folk from Moncks Corner. My back yard back up to a swamp, so that is my water haha. I know what you mean, it is so refreshing to breathe in the salt air- it cleanses your mind and soul doesn't it? What you are planting sounds great! Last year I too did more flowers than vegetables. Definitely food for the soul like you said. Last year I was going through a rough patch in life and my little garden of lavender and sage, marigolds and lilies was my therapy. Gardening is just great for everything! Thanks for responding, I look forward to keeping up with you!

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@baymule Thank you for sharing that with me! That is funny, I say the same thing to my boyfriend. He will say, wow honey you seem like you already know a lot about this. I will just smile because I know where I learned it from :) What great memories to have and to build on. Jealous that you live in Texas! Always heard that is a beautiful place. What are you planting?

Latest posts