Newbie Here! Hello from SC!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule Thank you for sharing that with me! That is funny, I say the same thing to my boyfriend. He will say, wow honey you seem like you already know a lot about this. I will just smile because I know where I learned it from :) What great memories to have and to build on. Jealous that you live in Texas! Always heard that is a beautiful place. What are you planting?

I do love Texas! I have lived on the Gulf coast, (Baytown) and loved fishing in the marshes and swamp. I love the salt spray in my face, but it has been years...... Now we live in northeast Texas, hills and forest, agriculture, mostly ranches. We moved here (Tyler area) a little over a year ago and wonder why we didn't get here sooner.

I have 2 buckets of seed and have a 100'x70' fenced garden. I want to plant EVERYTHING! :lol:

Do you have chickens? You can build a simple, easy coop from cow panels. I used to collect bagged leaves in the fall and pile them in the coop and run three feet deep. The chickens would have a great time scratching in all their new treasures, what they didn't eat, they pooped on and scratched it to bits. In a few months I had crumbly black garden gold. If you want chickens, we are great enablers. Just tell your boyfriend, I only want a few........and we all know where that ends up! :gig

IMG2405.jpg

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@baymule awesome! ah that sounds so nice. I'm afraid our little plot of land is not big enough for all of that, but sounds like you got a good thing going!
We do have chickens!:celebrate though much fewer than we started with :bow We started with 22 couple week old chicks, but now only have 6:thDue to predators we finally caught. We are thinking of introducing new chicks to flock, but haven't decided if we want to take that on yet. He has had chickens before but I haven't, but seeing as they are at his house, and he works 60+ hrs a week, we're trying to take it slow:hide.

How many chickens do you have? What do you do to keep the predators away??

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Build Fort Knox. Use hardware cloth, never chicken wire. At our old house, I had a 7'x8' coop with a 12'x8' run. The run was 3 cow panels. Let me see if I have a pic of that.....

IMG681.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you look closely, you can see the wire I laid on the ground all around the coop and run. I secured it with hog rings. I love cow panels and hog rings!! Here's how I built the hoop coop I am using now. It's really easy. If you have an existing coop, you can just build a hoop run onto it and cut an opening for the chickens to go in and out.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/hoop-coop.18291/