MrsBarnes

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am a newbie here although I have gardened for quite some time.
Recently moved so I am starting over which is sad and exciting all at the same time.
I have a flower bed from which I take a bulb, plant or bush from my relatives and although some didnt survive the move, I am hoping to have an honor garden. Right now my grandmas yellow irises and my twins bleeding heart are beautiful.
Her daffodils and tulips didnt make it. But it looks like her yucca plant did.
My uncles vitex had branch transplant that seemed to do well at first then my cat attacked it and it neever recovered.
Also new at this house, I did my veg and vines in raised beds since my land is mostly rock.
And new to me, I started a small fruit orchard. This will be 2nd summer in new house.
Always Looking for ideas

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG :frow I love the idea of an honour garden..

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @MrsBarnes. I think you will get some good ideas here. When we cleaned out and sold my parents home, I knew I should be taking cuttings and pieces of all the beautiful flowers Mom had growing there, but my mindset at the time was "just be done with it, I don't have time to mess with it right now."
Now, several years later, with both parents gone, I wish I had taken the time and trouble. I'm glad you are making your honor garden.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the idea of an honor garden!! I have daylilies that I have lugged around for 40 years! They went to my Mom's house, to mine, back to hers and back to mine. We bought a new place and I brought some here. I also have yellow jonquils I dug a start of from my ex's grandmother's old house. I loved Granny and she told me the story of her jonquils. The house's walls were one board thickness, made of 1"x12" milled right there on the place. Batten boards covered the cracks. It was miserably cold in the winter and the arrival of her jonquils in the early spring were a welcome sight that winter would soon be over. I also have amaryllis I got when I was in junior high, from a beloved neighbor lady. I never thought of making an honor garden, they are just scattered in various places. Thanks for the great idea!!

Welcome to the forum! You will enjoy yourself here. We have people from not only all over the country, but around the world. We are all held together by the common thread of gardening. We would love to hear more about your new place and pictures! We love pictures!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Mrs. Barnes. There are several people who are also starting new gardens so you are in good company. We even have a gardener who gardens in very rocky soil. His name is @digitS' . I think you are going to love it here.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Mrs. Barnes! Welcome to TEG! :frow
I have a few of my moms plants and some that I've received from friends, I like the idea of your honor garden too. If you can't be with your friends and loved ones, being with their plants is a poor substitute, but good for the memories they provide. :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NY :frow I have several plants that the originals where planted by my grandmother. My dad still lives in the house my grandparents built at turn of century.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A big welcome from me too, I'm fairly new to the forum myself but am finding this forum a home away from home. I don't have an honer garden but my garden is full of plants given to me by friends, sadly some of these friends are no longer with us but every time I pass one of these cherished plants fond memories come tumbling back.

Annette

Last edited: