Night visitors

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can show it to the DNR and see what they think it might be?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son had a house cat that weighed 35 pounds. That's about what my fat dog weighs.
The cat in the pics looks pretty plump to be a wild animal. I would think something wild would be leaner.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night my game camera took an image of a very large cat type critter in the yard. For reference, the rock in the photo is very large and difficult to lift, also for reference I included a feral domestic cat that hangs around all night.
View attachment 10572 View attachment 10573 View attachment 10574
Judging by those manufactured cement blocks, I would say that it is a large ( maybe @20 +/- lb. male house cat out and about looking for a mouse or two or love for the night. ;)

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have two guesses on this from personal experience with cats. I could be very wrong but I just wanted to pitch these as a possibility. The first being it is a very large, unaltered (not fixed) male cat. They can get very big and always have large jowls.
http://www.ourvalleyvoice.com/2013/12/05/mooneys-groves-feral-cats-danger-eliminated/
Scroll down that page a little and you can see a really big, solid black male cat like the one in your photo.

Also, it could be the offspring of two cats where one was a very large breed already. The Maine Coon breed is HUGE, and they can get up to 18 pounds when healthy and lean. If a Maine Coon and some other short-haired cat mixed, this could be the result.
http://www.maine-coon-cat-nation.com/big-maine-coon-cat.html
Look at this link to see just how big these cats get! Now add on if this is someone's pet and it's fed a little TOO well...you might have a really big cat roaming around!

Hope this helps a little!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had cats that big...and that bulk could be partially attributed to a thick winter pelt also. I saw a 30 lb house cat at the vet's the other day. I'd say a big ol' tom cat on the prowl.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
For people with deep pockets there are several exotic wild cats kept as pets. A client once had a ocelot. They don't make good pets, people dump in the country, no longer their problem.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago I ended up on a exotic animal forum, I couldn't believe some of the animals listed for sale. What blew me away was I got almost double the price for a cavalier puppy then a Mt. Lion kitten. I believe a tiger Kitten was same price as my puppies.

Latest posts