No bags at supermarkets

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Westchester county now is making all supermarkets stop giving bags at checkout. You now must bring your own bags. Felt very sorry for the people working checkout, they where the ones custmers where yelling at.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make it a point to be kind to the people who check out my purchases. They have so much crap to put up with, I try to brighten their day a little. No bags........gheesh........I feel sorry for the poor check out people, they just work there, they didn't make the stupid rule.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm surprised they are not selling the mesh reusable bags right near the checkout. if people had known this was coming they should have prepared.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This has to be NY, I thought Calif. had all the kooks in government but I'm begining to think a bunch migrated away from the left coast to the east.

THANX RICH

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My rights are being trampled! I demand baggie choice! :lol:

ETA: But no, seriously, people will probably just choose to do their shopping the next county over.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
What happens is stores begin carrying more permanent reusable bags for sale for like 15 cents.

Next thing that happens is the stores start selling real nice permanent bags for a dollar.

Slowly but surely, beginning with the smart eyed older housewives, they begin to actually remember to bring them with them each time they go shopping.

Eventually even slow to catch on ole guys like me realize, OH! Leave the bags in the car after unloading at home!

Next thing to remember is to carry them with you to the shopping cart...in a way that ya don't have to say, OH YEA, and have to walk back to the car to get them.

This learning curve can take a year if you're like me.

=====

Remember when in the '60's they started to have self serve gas pumps? Ya got to save a nickel a gallon? For that, folks got a 10 year learning curve with a reward.

=====

No bags is a sudden learning curve with a punishment.

=====

*****Peace*****

:rainbow-sun

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I remember something like this back in 2004 or 2005 when we lived in NOLA for a short time. The shoppers all exchanged email addresses and formed a shoppers union of sorts. They had several in-store demonstrations if I remember correctly. About 150 shoppers showed up early on Saturday (I suppose they determined that Saturday was the store's busiest day). All of them must have been winking at each other as they filled their carts to overflowing (mostly frozen foods). On some kind of signal they all headed for the checkout lanes and then they abandoned their carts and drove home. I sorta remember this took place at 3 or 4 of the company's stores that morning. Within a week the store announced that they were offering bags again. Power to the people.

But we consumers must also realize that we are paying $$ for the bags and then most of them get tossed in the trash to further pollute our planet or to decorate the interstate highways along the fence lines.

Wasn't this the norm back in the late '40s and '50s? I remember my mom usually had cloth canvas bags that looked like awning material. I had to carry two of them every week through rain and snow, hurricanes and tornadoes, floods and droughts, up-hill both ways. I wonder if the store did not offer bags back then.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still have mine I bought years ago, tucked away in a closet somewhere, but only used them briefly because once they began to accumulate dog hair en masse I was too embarrassed to bring them in the store anymore! I've put them through the washer and it doesn't come off. :/ The trunk of my car usually has a little dirt and hay in there from the farm too. Those bags they sell cheap at the checkout lane, everything sticks to them. I keep one of the thermal ones in the car, but end up putting my groceries into it after I reach the car.

Also, if you are going for a big shopping trip they aren't very handy. When I go, I shop for the whole month usually. (Which is more cost effective for me and hey, I save gasoline by not motoring to the store a couple times a week!) The baggers seem to find them really cumbersome to handle more than 2 or 3 of those bags at a time since they don't dispense from the end of the lane like the plastics ones do and they really have no where to put them while they work. It slows them down.

I don't understand what the big deal is, given that the plastic bags are recycleable and you can turn them in at the store or at the recycle center. I recycle all of mine. I also use them to line my smaller trash cans...which you're going to do with a plastic bag of some sort anyway...and it saves me money. I don't see the paper bags used anymore, around here anyway.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I still have mine I bought years ago, tucked away in a closet somewhere, but only used them briefly because once they began to accumulate dog hair en masse I was too embarrassed to bring them in the store anymore! I've put them through the washer and it doesn't come off. :/ The trunk of my car usually has a little dirt and hay in there from the farm too. Those bags they sell cheap at the checkout lane, everything sticks to them. I keep one of the thermal ones in the car, but end up putting my groceries into it after I reach the car.
EXACTLY!!! Why don't they make the re-usable bags slippery - or at least smooth? I bought a bunch of them and loved that I could get can goods stacked 3 layers high in them. Saved trips between the car and the kitchen. But after just one or two uses I was afraid to even take them in the store. They are cat hair MAGNETS!!!!!

Latest posts