No bags at supermarkets

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our local Natural Foods store gives customers a nickel off for every bag they provide. Of course, they also have places you can donate to certain charities available too.

All you have to do is look at the side of the road to get an idea of how many of those plastic bags are recycled. That does not take into account the ones that go straight to the landfill. I'm not convinced those brown paper bags are all that much better when you consider what it takes to make them. And I've noticed those seem to tear a lot easier than they used to. They just don't last if you try to reuse them, at least for me.

VFEM, I figured you could take a little teasing. Like you, we have so many from various sources we don't need to make any. We even recently donated some extras to a charity recycle shop where my wife and I volunteer we had so many.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The reusable bags I accidentally leave in the house on the CAT'S lay z boy chair does get cat hair on it, but then I'm kind of proud of my cat's fur! Peeper's orange fur is so bright, and Clevland's Abyssinian fur is so silky and colorful blue and fawn!

And when the cute checkout gal notices all the kitty litter and cat food I mention that my cats are famous on facebook.

Some folks don't like long checkout lines. Me, I think it makes a great opportunity to socialize!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
when i went to a garlic festival last year i saw an interesting vendor that was selling 'recycled' products that were handy for practically everything! they had taken and diced up lots of plastic containers and labels and then bonded them together to form their 'fabric' for making purses, wallets and even some carrying bags. they even showed their process of how they made the stuff by using waxed paper and a hot iron to help bond the plastic into a fabric for use. they would lay out any designs they liked from a package and use the shredded stuff around it.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fused-Plastic-bags-and-accessories/

i did find a neat idea of making your own bags from recycling those plastic bags you'd get from the store. http://www.danamadeit.com/2008/07/tutorial-recycled-grocery-totes.html

i know not many people have time to make this stuff but they are really neat ideas for reusing those plastic bags and some of your favorite products' labels! :lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have finally trained myself to remember the bags. I have several store bought ones. I picked up some really BIG ones at Joanne Fabrics CHEAP and they are plastic coated! You can make your own VERY easily, too. Only need to be able to sew a straight (or kinda straight seam!)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
I have finally trained myself to remember the bags. I have several store bought ones. I picked up some really BIG ones at Joanne Fabrics CHEAP and they are plastic coated! You can make your own VERY easily, too. Only need to be able to sew a straight (or kinda straight seam!)
And THAT would be the problem, exactly.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
1950's---"Thank you for shopping with us! Let me bag this up for you. Can I help you to your car?

1980's---"Paper or plastic?"

2013---"Bag? Bring your own!"

Man I love progress.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of Purina Layena feed bags I saved to make totes out of. Then the two feed stores in town quit selling Purina Layena because they said it was too high, no body would buy it. They substituted it with another variety with an ugly generic bag. Yuck! You guys have me inspired to go ahead and make the totes, and see how hard they are to make. If they aren't too hard, and my old machine can handle the thick material, I'll be in business. Maybe we can work out something if you have excess Purina bags. Will report back later.

Latest posts