No bags at supermarkets

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have Aldi up here too. You have to put a quarter the little holder in to get the shopping cart free, but you get your quarter back when you return it. They claim it saves them money since nobody steals their carts.

And yes you have to bag your own groceries. They do save boxes but its first come first serve. They do sell reusable bags there too. We shop there for certain things and it does save money. We normally go there first, then finish our shopping at the larger grocery store. I've always like them but it does take a certain mindset.

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm new here but couldn't resist commenting on this issue. I frequently forget to bring reusable bags into the grocery and for awhile used one of those bags that squish into it's own little carrying pouch and the whole thing fit into my purse (can't remember the brand name). That worked great until someone borrowed it. And now I'm back to trying to remember to bring the from the car.

I remember in Ireland a few years ago, the grocery stores had plastic bags if needed, but charged approx. 10 cents for each one. It was a new law there at the time. At first I was peeved to pay so much for a little plastic grocery bag, but then I thought it made sense and sure would have encouraged me to remember my reusable bags the next time. Sort of like a bottle deposit. Seemed like a pretty good compromise IMO.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was at Best Buy this morning and saw LARGE plastic coated bags for $1.99 !!!! Pretty too. Should have bought a few.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i've been using my own bags for several years now. they stay in my trunk. there's a little dirt back there too - but oh well. my bags come from all over the place. tractor supply has some nice big ones. i get one that will keep things cold. i still use the store's bags for meat.
i recently found re-usable produce bags. i like 'em alot. i replace bags from time to time as they get too ratty after awhile.
i've gotten so accostomed to my bags, that i hate it when i'm in the wrong vehicle & have to use their store plastic bags. i've just always hated those plastic bags & having to find a home for them. now if i can just figure out how to get someone from the store to come home with me & put things away - now that would be nice.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
MeggsyGardenGirl said:
I would have loved to live in Ireland. I've never seen such glorious green and loved the hedgerows of wild fuchsia. Amazing! But I only have visited a couple times.
I've also visited a couple of times. It's called the Emerald Isle for a reason. Very very pretty!!!!! And I really liked the people.

Did you happen to drive? It's hard to think of a bigger thrill than driving down a narrow sunken road probably over a thousand years old with very solid rock walls really close on both side, on what is the wrong side of the road for me, and a bus full of tourists barreling straight down toward you with absolutely no intention of slowing down, let alone stopping. Did I mention that some of those roads were really narrow?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
now if i can just figure out how to get someone from the store to come home with me & put things away - now that would be nice.
Friday night is sleep-over night with the youngest grandchildren. Gypsy (9) informed me that WE needed to go shopping as we were seriously out of needed commodities.

She packed the car with groceries and unloaded the car and brought the groceries in. She even put all the treats and snacks - I did say needed, right? - in their proper spots. The real food was left on the table, of course, so I ended up putting most of the groceries away. Still, with carpal tunnel wrists, just the carrying in of bags was a big help.

I love my brown paper grocery bags for putting down to smother weeds in the garden. Covered with a light layer of mulch hey work especially well to protect tomatoes from getting weedy and keeping the soil consistently moist. Indeed, they work well any place seedlings are set rather than sown and degrade well before the soil need be worked again.

Seldom get any plastic and those few are recycled as long as possible. I do have a collection of fabric bags. Living so far out of town, having some good bags to keep frozen food frozen and cold food cold is a must IMHO. Still I hate to think the brown bags are history. They are recyclable, biodegradable, and reusable. In fact, they make the best, BEST, B- E-S-T book covers for school. Sturdier than purchased ones, they are easy to personalize, usually last the year, and are easy to make. The text books last longer when they are protected with a cover and most of the teachers require covers for books and encourage the bag covers that I started.

Love, Smart Red

Latest posts