Not a blue sky, but it will do!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now with kids is the time to have the zoo. Teach them responsibilities, about life/death, joy of pure love, etc.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i loved having parakeets as a kid. i had them till i was in my mid teens and then my mom said my last bird had to go because she decided she wanted to remodel the house. that last bird was the best! till i had her i only had pairs and both times they were males that took some time to tame. my last one took well to taming and would go with me everywhere on my shoulder. she would fly to me when i gave a certain whistle. if i had her a few more years i'm sure i would have her talking up a storm!

i didn't know about mites when i got my first pair and lost one the first day of 3rd grade. sad sight to see just before school but it was a lesson to learn from. my birds averaged about 3-5 years and i had a total of 4 over a 12 year time span. it could explain why i'm such a bird brain and my chickens love to 'flock' to me! :p

i remember the teflon thing from my Bird Talk mags when i was a kid. i didn't think teflon pans were still being sold since they've found the coating could be damaging to people too once it starts to flake off the pans.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about mites either, Chickie'sMoma. Can you fill me in with what to do about them? I always thought you weren't supposed to get budgies wet, but read today that they like an occasional bird bath in a bit of water in the sink. I don't suppose they dust bathe, do they? Or that you could put a little DE in there?

I didn't think of Craigslist...I'll go check it out. I've done pretty well on there for other things.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
the mites they get are tiny and there used to be a metal tin that contained some thing to keep the buggies in check, you could buy at the pet store to attach to the cage, i've also seen a mite spray for pet birds being sold lately. the mites are smaller than the ones seen on poultry and can suck the blood from the birds till they are anemic and die. check you local pet supply store and see if they have a mite spray. the bugs will affect the birds and shouldn't bother people.

my birds used to love an occasional warm bath in the sink or i would put them on the shower rail and as i took a shower the water would bounce off me and the birds would splash in the drops that would hit them. parakeets come from Australia so they do occasionally like a dust bath but water is just as fun. they are hardier than other exotic birds and can tolerate some colder temps than more sensitive birds, just don't expose them to freezing temps.

careful with mirrors since they could fly into them thinking it is another bird or another room. mine did get used to them and would occasionally talk to the bird in the mirror. my last bird used to fly back and forth from mine and squawk up a storm to use up her energy till she would settle down with me to watch TV or do homework.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Give them a crock or something deep enough to bathe in with a lip or edge they can perch on. That way they can bathe as they see fit. I wouldn't leave it in there but giving them the opportunity is good.

Keep them away from drafts especially once they get wet& you'll be fine. I bred & hand fed/raised a variety of birds including cockatiels, Indian Ringnecks, & lovebirds. I dabbled into American singer canaries & Gouldian finches.

You could always use wild branches especially off fruit trees so long you know they are not sprayed. Manzanita branches are a good choice too. Extremely hard (to hold to little beaks), with plenty of branching pieces would be a good choice too. Google it there's lots if suppliers, some with bolts already drilled into them for easier mounting options. I always liked it because it was easy to clean if/when it got soiled. Little soap & water does the trick just fine.

Glad to see your enjoying them so much. They are fascinating animals.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've really got to find them a bigger cage too. Amazing how all these little critters I keep collecting suddenly turn in to money pits. :p

I'm going to prune my apple trees today, so hopefully I'll find a nice branch for them out there.

I don't think these budgies will ever be tame, unfortunately. Between the cats watching them and the kids being so noisy and crazy, they don't get a lot of calm, peaceful interaction. I've been putting them on the kitchen table during the days so they can kind of get used to us and our noise a little.