NY Going To have Another Bad Year For Fruit

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wasn't blaming the farmers I was blaming fate/providence.
Blame the blame weather!

It's snowing hard right now! I was just thinking that yesterday, I'd reached the milestone where I didn't have to walk in the same 2' path thru the backyard every single time! The melting snow against the south wall and under the deciduous trees had opened up a wider passage for me to tread ... (of course, I could have shoveled an 8' wide path instead of a 2' path beginning in November.)

It's 4:30pm, 34°f, and dark, despite the falling white stuff. Okaaay, I really don't think I'll be shoveling a 2' wide path again from this storm. It looks like if the maximum forecast falls over the next 36 hours, it will be like 1½" but ... still!

Steve

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I know you know this, but just so you can appreciate the difference a few miles makes - we received 4", give or take, Sunday and at least 2" more today between sun bursts and blizzard showers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The month will continue on this chilly, snow-covered road, @thistlebloom :

March 7.JPG
Yeah, here at my home today will just be a continuing "dusting" but still rated at 100%. Snow continues like that until Thursday and then, maybe, rain. Won't be hard to get rid of the new stuff but I'm becoming embarrassed by the hills of dirty snow along my driveway (& tired of the slop when it warms just a little, now & then).

And, here's the remainder of the month, according to the forecasters. While OK is burning up, we will have to hope for a warm turnaround for @aftermidnight 's gardening year:

March.JPG
Back to "normal" for the NorthEast?

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, above average from that map. Sound about right.

I noticed the peach trees blooming. Our 10-day only shows one morning at freezing so we'll see how bad it is as far as fruit tree blossoms freezing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A week into March, they have come out with this for February:

February.JPG
Click to see better but That's a lot of Record Warmest February weather!

I can hear the NY talk, directed towards the Pacific NW: "Youse Guys, Get Outta Heyah!"

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got dumped on Tuesday night. DH had to leave for a meeting before it was light out and he came in saying we got at least 5 additional inches. I'm starting to wonder if all this snow will melt in time to put a garden in. :eek:

I snowshoed up to my equipment shed last weekend to get all my seed starting soil and containers ready and the sliding barn door was frozen solid to the ground. At least I kept my seeds in the house @seedcorn ! ;)
I guess I'll be buying more soil and starting stuff.

Latest posts