Officially retired!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is important for retired couples to figure out how to spend their time. My husband worked. He really had no hobbies, he worked to age 70. He finally quit, but I suspect he misses it, even though he says he doesn't. We work here on the farm. I have an idea of what I want, how to do it and he has a polar opposite idea of how to do anything. Not to mention a hundred questions on how, why and what, never had safety training and doesn't get it that things can be dangerous. He even helps on butchering chickens, we are slaughtering 3 roosters this morning, he will pick the feathers and does a good job of it. We work together on projects and stay busy. There is plenty to do around here, we go visit friends, keep the grand kids, grocery shopping, and daily living. We clash, we are both strong minded, but I am the most stubborn. We laugh it off and get back to doing the things we enjoy. Sometimes the most enjoyable thing we do is just sit outside and survey our little farm. Chicken and sheep TV is a good channel to watch, as is Horse TV and dog TV. Retirement is pretty darn good.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
a school bus tagged a deer at the end of our driveway this morning. what a nice way to wake up... first thing i did was think of how glad @Carol Dee must be to not be out there driving.

they always come through here fast so no surprise that someone finally got one.
I drove for 25 years. Never hit a deer. Thank Goodness. I drove in some very deer populated zones too. I saw deer almost everyday. often wandering or darting across the road near the county park.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is important for retired couples to figure out how to spend their time. My husband worked. He really had no hobbies, he worked to age 70. He finally quit, but I suspect he misses it, even though he says he doesn't. We work here on the farm. I have an idea of what I want, how to do it and he has a polar opposite idea of how to do anything. Not to mention a hundred questions on how, why and what, never had safety training and doesn't get it that things can be dangerous. He even helps on butchering chickens, we are slaughtering 3 roosters this morning, he will pick the feathers and does a good job of it. We work together on projects and stay busy. There is plenty to do around here, we go visit friends, keep the grand kids, grocery shopping, and daily living. We clash, we are both strong minded, but I am the most stubborn. We laugh it off and get back to doing the things we enjoy. Sometimes the most enjoyable thing we do is just sit outside and survey our little farm. Chicken and sheep TV is a good channel to watch, as is Horse TV and dog TV. Retirement is pretty darn good.
So far so good ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i would much rather have someone ask a lot of questions than to just go do something and then make a mess that i have to clean up later or redo or make more work in other ways.

those would be much better TV than most TV itself IMO. :) my problem with any time i try to sit outside is that i see something that needs doing and so i get up and do it. we joke about the covered swing we have that we've sat on about a half dozen times in 20+yrs and benches that mostly get used to set things on as we're doing something else. it's pretty rare for either of us to just sit outside - though i do have to admit once in a while i do that when i'm enjoying a nice day weeding in a garden sitting on my ground pillow watching a bug or listening to the birdies and wind-chimes... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Priorities. How does the issue rate in the general scheme of things? Trying to assess with DW how important whatever it is, is to her. Winning at all costs, that just doesn't make it.

I can be stubborn but, I can often feel real good about helping. Besides, DW isn't impractical so there's personal benefit beyond feel goods, nearly always. Maybe it's 80% and my way would be 90%. I bet nearly half the time, my way wouldn't really be better.

Steve