OK, so I'm a wimp...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a collection of used fishtanks, people throw them away I just cant leave them. What a great idea!!!!! never heard of the potato for rooting. In my part of the country most roses require spraying. Every now and then someone will have one that does well without spraying. This spring going to try .:clap:fl
NYboy... try systemic insecticide. ;)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is what I use out in the garden, I have a lot of trouble with the old legs, not as sure footed as I used to be. After trampling on too many plants while weeding in amongst the perennials I came up with this made out of a replacement handle and a piece of rebar. Just push it in the ground, works a treat for steadying, bending over, getting up and down and really great on sloped areas.
View attachment 22470

Annette
After I fractured my knee cap, I used a digging fork . Just drive the forks into the ground just a bit or deeper depending on what you whant to do, then use the handle to steady yourself to walk or lean over .

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is what I use out in the garden, I have a lot of trouble with the old legs, not as sure footed as I used to be. After trampling on too many plants while weeding in amongst the perennials I came up with this made out of a replacement handle and a piece of rebar. Just push it in the ground, works a treat for steadying, bending over, getting up and down and really great on sloped areas.
View attachment 22470

Annette
After I fractured my knee cap, I used a digging fork . Just drive the forks into the ground just a bit or deeper depending on what you whant to do, then use the handle to steady yourself to walk or lean over .

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a collection of used fishtanks, people throw them away I just cant leave them.
Thank goodness, I am not the only one!! I have shelves full of all different sizes ranging from 1/2 gal. goldfish bowls up to 60 gal. show tanks. Upside down they are great mini-greenhouses, I always start my green onions under them, faster germination AND keeps the cats out! The bigger ones I have used rightside up with growlights to overwinter or start things early (terrarium style). Every now and then I even use one for a fishtank...;)

what is the name of glass bell used to protect plants early spring ? I know it starts with a C
Bay beat me to it, darnnit, I knew that one! "Cake lid thingy", that's what we called a cloche as kids, grandma had several for her garden.

@aftermidnight I really like that tool you made! Going to have DH make at least two: one for me, one for Mom. They will be perfect at camp where EVERYTHNG is a slope and we still insist on planting flowers, not to mention tripping over tree roots. We have tried ski poles, great for walking but they tend to bend under stress.
@bobm, the beloved "tater' fork cane", what can I say, my fave go-to all purpose garden tool! If they made one with a cutting blade and/or nipper attachment I would be in heaven.
The walker worked like a champ for me, a little 4-legged ladder if you will. Having a broad area to set my hands allows me to use more arm and shoulder muscles to pull myself up. I also have serious tilt issues where that right hip doesn't bend well and it tends not to lean on me while "climbing" up and down.
And now I am all excited to go out and use it some more!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm, the beloved "tater' fork cane", what can I say, my fave go-to all purpose garden tool!
Our a spading fork ... I use it a whole lot in the garden, my fave, too!

It's probably a safer choice but I go for my #2 fav tool for walking stability: a long-handled cultivator. Don't usually use either and just try to have forward motion. Tend to list.

The other day, I was driving a different vehicle than usual and had forgotten my cane. There was about 2 1/2 blocks of sidewalks to traverse. Okay, I can do this. It was slightly uphill with cars passing and usually some foot traffic. Falling would be embarrassing ...

I'm thinking that I'd better concentrate to maybe stay safe. It didn't seem like quite enough. Figure this out, might be a tweak that I could make and improve the safety of my walking.

It occurred to me that I try to maintain a rhythmic pace. It's not as easy to do without the cane. How would I show that with words? Just even ... 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4. Okay, even pacing by the clock. What if my two legs moved at different paces? Say, if the right leg's pace is 2 seconds and the left moves at 2 1/2 seconds.

I immediately felt more stable! The left foot stays on the concrete longer than the right. It benefits, the entire left side benefits! And, I'm more confident. The return downhill went fine.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it sounds like a number of others here are in a similar boat. just getting by any way they can. i suspect i'm eventually going to be doing some crawling around for gardening. i don't mind as it keeps my nose closer to the dirt/plants/weeds. :) i may need some industrial strength covers for the garden pillows though. the crushed limestone mulch is not forgiving... or maybe just sheet metal sleds on the bottom. can wax them for winter. :) whee!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Balance can be a problem for me, haven't used them yet but I just bought a pair of the shorter trekking poles, much better then a cane if balance is an issue. I see a lot of the older generation around here using them. In fact just drove past an old gal the other day who must have been in her 90's, she was just zipping along, backpack on her back :).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shoot. It could be worse.

I just saw a kid ride by, a little early and foggy for meeting his buddies at the nearby elementary school playground but, that might be it. I'm afraid he has cerebral palsy. Rides a bicycle. He's such an uncoordinated kid.

I really like using a stool in the garden. Like having 4' beds, too. It gives me more plants to mess with, within reach, so i don't have to move the stool so often ;). It isn't often a stool but a milk crate or a 3 gallon bucket. The crate I can carry tools in; the buckets are my harvest buckets.

Steve