OK, so I'm a wimp...

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do you root your roses?

I take a stem with a bud and cut it at around 8-12 inches if possible (some roses just don't have that length of stem). Prune off the lower leaves, leaving the top 4-6 inches, including the bud, alone. Then I take a potato and punch a pencil sized hole in it longwise but not all the way thru and insert the stem. After that I plant them so that the lowest leafset is about 1" above ground and cover them with a glass container. Last year I used two 1 gal. jars (one rose each), a 10 gal. fishtank (six will fit) and a 20 gal. fishtank (10 under that one). Then just leave them alone until late summer of the following year, DO NOT remove the cover even to weed. It might take two years for the little guys to really get going but I do remove the glass after the first year. The ones in the pic were under the 10 gal. tank, the others did not make it.
This year I have rooting powder, gonna try that, and still use the spud. Also ruling out the 20 gal. tank, I think it was too big to be a proper "greenhouse".
I will take pictures of the process this year! I have TEG to share them with!!!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a collection of used fishtanks, people throw them away I just cant leave them. What a great idea!!!!! never heard of the potato for rooting. In my part of the country most roses require spraying. Every now and then someone will have one that does well without spraying. This spring going to try .:clap:fl

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is what I use out in the garden, I have a lot of trouble with the old legs, not as sure footed as I used to be. After trampling on too many plants while weeding in amongst the perennials I came up with this made out of a replacement handle and a piece of rebar. Just push it in the ground, works a treat for steadying, bending over, getting up and down and really great on sloped areas.
DSCN5156.JPG

Annette

Latest posts