Okay, We are Toast

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should have all come and visited me today... No sun, high of 64, rain and a freezing cold breeze. Would have been a nice day- if it was November! Send some of that heat my way, please!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I had to get a house of my own before I had AC. And then, it was a cooler. That's really okay for here.

With such low humidity, we are also the "evaporative coolers". I dislike fans blowing on me but if I take my hearing aids out

My AC now is only in the living room. Central heating but not cooling. It's okay. I'm using my "save on heating" technique of having doors closed. I bet my bedroom was 10° warmer than the rest of the house ... until I began to wonder if I was planning to sleep in the living room. Anyway, the kitchen, utility, etc. can be warmer.

The 73° this morning was the warmest June low ever but you can see the advantages, once again, with low humidity. Our short hours of darkness often result in 30° temperature changes.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apartments I lived in had AC. Wasn't till 3 years ago that we finally had AC. As long as it was just the 2 of us, we could cool house down at night, left it shut up, it stayed cool till next evening. With kids, them going in and out, no hope. I can handle heat, hate cold. Wife is opposite...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should have all come and visited me today... No sun, high of 64, rain and a freezing cold breeze. Would have been a nice day- if it was November! Send some of that heat my way, please!
I looked at the weather in Halifax, Nova Scotia, yesterday. There was a morning low of 45° & high of 68° -- that sounds so pleasant.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't like to complain about the weather. Can't do anything about it anyway. Remember this spring when I was idly commenting about how dry it was and how I almost didn't want to plant a garden if I'd have to water it all summer? Well, 'taint been dry, 'taint dry now, and 'taint gonna be dry for the foreseeable future here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

The temperatures haven't been all that bad (good) depending upon what you like. Mid 60s [F] at night and around 80 to mid 80s during the day isn't bad for people or gardens in the summer. If fact, I think I'd love this summer -- rain included -- if I had a working mower. Soon, soon I hope.

DS has a friend (I am a bit wary, but he knows his friend well) who will fix it for $700 instead of the $1600 the shop quoted. Perhaps by week's end I will be riding, gleefully mowing my property, and queen of all that I see. Such is my dream, anyway.

Watching the forecasts for the Western coast makes me feel sorry for them, especially when the drought is added to their woes. It seems the weather in the Northwest has been wacky ever since my brother left Wisconsin for the left coast.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For that kind of money, can buy a new rider. I missed it, what kind is it?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Simplicity. Yes, Cub Cadet has new lawn tractors/mower deck for $1600. It is not just the mower, however, I also have a tiller, snowblower, and blade attachment for the Simplicity that would be useless without another Simplicity tractor of the same year (range).

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never lived in a house with a/c until many years after we built this second house. Living in the woods was a big advantage. I would use two box fans, one in the bedroom end blowing in and one in the furthest window in the living end blowing out. That worked to move the air every night and cool the house by morning, but did nothing for the humidity.

Once we put in the a/c, I seldom turned it on and then only to get the humidity out of the air before turning it back off. With ceiling fans in the bedrooms and kitchen, I really don't need the a/c often.

I have the GEO-air turned on, but it doesn't run because the house doesn't get above 75 (F). I remember one evening when I'd just posted that the a/c hadn't been on yet when I heard it start up and cycle twice before stopping. I guess that means it's working when it needs to, but I see no reason to cool the house down to the 60s in the summer when I'm heating it to 70 in the winter.