Okra planting

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Mom has tried to get her to try okra but she just sits at the table and pouts.....

I have a very short season so those north of me may not even have a season as okra is like wood with cool nights. I have never tried store fresh okra as it always looks beat up to me.

@Ridgerunner Nice comparison, never looked at it quite that way. But agree. You make perfect sense-unlike my 2 brat siblings...

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"When in Rome....." :old
Now, I am a pure bred city gal.....born n' raised city gal. KCMO. Steak and potatoes and all that. But I married a Navy guy at 16, and henceforth received my epicurial education. We lived 15 years on the Gulf Coast. With short stints in Lowcountry SC and Gitmo Cuba.
I much preferred the foods of the Gulf Coast. Gumbo, seafood, cajun, and yes....okra. Although, I truly believe okra is an acquired taste. No, I refuse to eat it slimy-err...boiled-that is. It must be fried, or gumbo, or my new fave....stewed okra. I must enjoy it myself though. New spouse, a WV boy, refuses to even try it.

Stewed okra

Bunch o' okra pods...sliced
Half of a Jimmy Dean sausage roll-I prefer maple flavored
Onion-the whole thing-chopped
Tomatoes from your garden-the more the merrier
dried hot pepper flakes

Now, slice up all of the okra....bite size pieces
fry the crumble-fry the sausage.
Toss in the onion and fry with the sausage grease
dump in the okra pieces, diced fresh tomatoes, and maybe some tomato juice if you have some handy.

Bring to a happy rolling boil, turn heat to simmer, cover, and cook away for about 35-45 minutes. It should be the consistency of a stew.
When finished, (if you are Southern, toss in some cooked rice)...me....I top with some home made croutons. This dish is worth it :thumbsup

p.s.- I end up eating the whole mess through the week. I can't help it and spouse don't want any anyway.

p.s.s. - Okra is NOT slimy in this dish. Acids reduce the slimy factor to nothingness. I like the spicy flavor of the okra pods.

p.s.s.s.- home made croutons, another chapter.... :hide

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For those on a low sodium diet...that includes me now....I track my daily sodium consumption on the site myfitnesspal.
I never was much into sodium anyway, but recently acquired BP. Alarmingly high BP. So now...I track. I still eat and enjoy what I want, I just pay closer attention to my food choices.
And like many, i will enjoy an occasional meal out. Our tiny town recently got a new Taco Bell. Not my fave but will do in a pinch. I went right to the online nutrition guide for them.
:ep :ep :ep I knew they were bad. They ARE fast food. But.... did I mention... :ep :ep :ep
That's the sodium grams in the food.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
looked though the family photo album @thistlebloom you have to remember this one. mom telling us we were going over to aunt esters house for kale patties after church and @seedcorn balled all though the service and at aunt esters.

priceless......
cry.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish With no garden, you have WAY too much time......

Have to ask, outside of a few crazies, who eats kale patties & likes them? Most eat Kale thinking it's some miracle food-not that they crave Kale.

Latest posts